illness or just old?

Pics
my pretty lady butters has started slowly and slowly getting weaker and weaker. she is the oldest of the chickens so old only her and one sister remain! (and a new rooster we brought in) they both stopped laying eggs but today she can no longer move.. family thinks it’s just old age but prior to this i noticed a problem in my chickens.they all had runny eyes and began gurgling. she’s currently laying at the entrance to the coop, limp, and gurgling. she’s definately very old but i wonder if there is a sickness that is bringing her to death faster. all my ducks haven’t had any symptoms. i’m not sure if there’s a way to add videos or else i’d show her gurgles. i’ve had chickens for many years but illnesses have never been a problem, only wounds that got infected due to predators or one pesky neighbors dog. which is an easy solution as i just give them antibiotics. what’s the best option to do if all my birds are sick?
(none of the birds have watery eyes or any other signs of sickness right now, the only thing butters has other than lethargy is the gurgling but about a week ago they had bubbly eyes and runny noses)
View attachment 3629093View attachment 3629094
my pretty lady butters has started slowly and slowly getting weaker and weaker. she is the oldest of the chickens so old only her and one sister remain! (and a new rooster we brought in) they both stopped laying eggs but today she can no longer move.. family thinks it’s just old age but prior to this i noticed a problem in my chickens.they all had runny eyes and began gurgling. she’s currently laying at the entrance to the coop, limp, and gurgling. she’s definately very old but i wonder if there is a sickness that is bringing her to death faster. all my ducks haven’t had any symptoms. i’m not sure if there’s a way to add videos or else i’d show her gurgles. i’ve had chickens for many years but illnesses have never been a problem, only wounds that got infected due to predators or one pesky neighbors dog. which is an easy solution as i just give them antibiotics. what’s the best option to do if all my birds are sick?
(none of the birds have watery eyes or any other signs of sickness right now, the only thing butters has other than lethargy is the gurgling but about a week ago they had bubbly eyes and runny noses)
I'm no professional chicken keeper, but I've seen many on this site suggest to use VetRx orally or in their water. Some keepers swear by the vetRx to fix many illnesses. May help most with respiratory illnesses. I've tried it and sometimes it does work. available from Tractor Supply in our area or Jeffers online. I'd also give some poultry boost to see if it gives some energy while they're healing. Hope this helps

I dont like to give up on mine! Emulsified oregano can do wonders, it's antibiotic, antiparasitic.. it is great with sour crop and many other ailments. I also give warm baths with lots of Epsom salts. You might separate her - I use an extra large dog crate with some clean straw. Biotics makes a product called ADP, its concentrated emulsified oregano and cut up the pill into chunks and pop them in the beak.

When my birds seem ill or lethargic i put some oregano &/or rosemary oil in their waterer, also apple cider vinegar. I also buy probiotic & electrolyte powder and add it in their water. There's a liquid Ivermectin I purchased on line and a couple of times a year if they're itching or dusting a lot I put a dropper full on the back of their necks, 1x per week for 2 weeks and it kills any mite infestation. I also add a few drops if any seem I'll in their water along with rosemary, oregano, even garlic oil works well. Sprinkling some oils into their breeding helps too. Had a hen I cured of water belly with the Ivermectin. My oldest hen was almost 9 when the fox recently got her and she didn't look or act old. Was a sad day. Hope your hen is on the mend. I've tended to many an injured or ill bird. It's heartbreaking.

Back
Top Bottom