I'm actually getting ducks!

[can you treat ducks basically like chickens?]

Yes

[Can you feed them chicken feed and they will be fine?]

Yes.......although I do buy gamebird sometimes and mix it together. About 1 bag gamebird to 2-3 bags chicken layer

[Can they drink out of poultry waterers?]

Yes

[Do they have to have a place to lay on the ground? Or can they get to the nesting boxes about a foot up?]

Mine lay on the ground, in the doghouses provide AND a few get into the chicken boxes which are 1 1/2 feet up. So really they lay just where they want to.............
gig.gif

edited to add:

I have 27 chickens, 8 Muskovies and 2 Cayugas.........all living in the same pen/house.

Last edited:
Good. Then someone can answer both of our questions
smile.png
I'm feeling a bit...stupid.
hmm.png
I'm so used to knowing everything about chickens...but ducks are a WHOLE different story. And I know nothing...lol

so....can anyone tell me why duck eggs are so good to bake with? I know they are bigger than a chicken egg, but that's about all I know. I have 4 baby ducks that are new this year and we've neer done ducks before. so far, they are really cute and are coexisting with my chicks pretty well....although they were a little bossy at first, now they are all fine.

I think that duke eggs are just richer I have no ducks but my friend used to have 3 kaki cambell hens. They are just alittle to messy for me at this point I am sure I will get some later though.

Good Luck with ducks
Henry

Duck eggs are richer. They will also fluff up more than chicken eggs in your baked goods. I like the flavor. I put a duck egg in my last batch of corn bread. It was the best corn bread we have ever eaten. I don't know really what was different, but it was good.

Also, if you have an allergy to chicken eggs, you can usually eat duck eggs. I know it sounds weird, but you can. Ducks are different than chickens, and so their eggs are different. I know that duck eggs don't produce gas like chicken eggs do for me.

DeAnna

Back
Top Bottom