I'm being anal...

Let me be VERY clear on something:

I AM THE WORST PERSON AT SPELLING / GRAMMAR!

I have a TON of other fantastic skills and strengths, but these are on the complete end of the spectrum. Only thing worse than my spelling and grammar is my handwriting <shudder>.

I was meant to be alive during the days of word processing and spell check!

AMEN!

I don't mind poor grammar and spelling so much in casual settings, but it REALLY bugs me when it's published in a form that should be well checked. Peter Jennings would drive me nuts because I knew he was very well paid to speak correctly.

I was hugely embarrassed when our state's Commissioner of Education (now the Governor) sent a letter to the editor to newspapers across the state. It looked like he didn't even bother to have a high school graduate proof read it. It wouldn't have bothered me if it were Joe Blow, but the Commissioner of Education for the entire state! That made us look like the best educated among us were thick.

There are worse things than a lack of education, but when it's your job, get the grammar and spelling right.

My biggest bugaboo about spelling in the classified ads--SPADE when they mean having a pet altered! Please, people, it's SPAYED!
he.gif

Quote:
OH MY!!! ME TOO!!! Me too!! Ugh, the inapropriate use of the apostrophe S...makes me shudder, it's like hearing nails down a chalkboard....I can't count the number of times I've seen a beautiful and well-designed sign or banner for a business...and then I see that glaring apostrophe. It's so sad to me!

On a forum/message board or in casual email I really don't care about spelling and grammar. It's casual, like a phone conversation between friends. But if you are going put something in print or publish it in a public place (e.g., online)? Good grief, please have someone proofread it. Even if you do have good grammar skills, a second set of eyes is invaluable.

I happen to proofread and edit for a living. But I sure hope that no one is proofreading my posts here on BYC or anywhere else online, because I definitely don't bother to proofread those--and I'm darn sure not picking over anyone else's grammar and/or spelling online!! Like I said, it's casual. Who cares? But in an advertisement or anything else published or formal, mistakes will drive me crazy!

Some of those examples y'all posted from ads are pretty hysterical though.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom