incubator recommendations. inexpensive with auto turner

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
Ok long story short..... I was getting eggs from 3 different people. well 2 gave me extra eggs and the one shipping them I guess messed up packing my eggs (with extras already added in) so instead of repacking them just packed up new ones and shipped all 36!!!!! LOL so went from what I was thinking would be 24 eggs (my incubator can hold 22) up to 30...... so was going to give a broody some that I don't trust to be a mom but figured I would let her sit on some then as I removed clears and quitters take them and put them in the incubator to fill it....... well then the next person gave me more so went to 33...... then the extra from the shipped ones went to 57 eggs............ so now I need a 2nd incubator. Since I never hatch this many I don't want to get an expensive one (and my husband would kill me) we have a weekend away that someone comes and will add water but she won't be around enough to auto turn and I also don't want to give that responsibility to her so NEED one that auto turns.......

has anyone tried or heard of this one???? https://www.amazon.com/Incubators-C...NpvDzQ1YurjChgIBXXwd8UPeCMT9K4_Wup3TSerO7xHuU

Hi Junior67! I did not choose that particular unit, instead I went for the Kebonnixs, which also has an automatic turner. I was concerned that the unit you are considering recommends removing the lid during lockdown to 'mist' the eggs. I honestly would not do that as you risk 'shrink wrapping' chicks that are pipping then. Also I would recommend, once your eggs go into lockdown, to place some kind of flooring under the eggs, so that when they hatch, they have something to stand on and avoid splay leg from a slick surface. Just some thoughts...good luck with all your hatching adventures!!! :)

Hi Junior67! I did not choose that particular unit, instead I went for the Kebonnixs, which also has an automatic turner. I was concerned that the unit you are considering recommends removing the lid during lockdown to 'mist' the eggs. I honestly would not do that as you risk 'shrink wrapping' chicks that are pipping then. Also I would recommend, once your eggs go into lockdown, to place some kind of flooring under the eggs, so that when they hatch, they have something to stand on and avoid splay leg from a slick surface. Just some thoughts...good luck with all your hatching adventures!!! :)
Thanks. I have an NR360 and do the mat on the bottom for lockdown and plan to do the same with whatever one I get. Ya I found it odd the recommended misting them. I like the Kebonnixs but it is more $ even for the 12 egg one and the 12 egg won't be big enough for what I need.

I use that incubator and it works ok if you don't take the instructions too seriously. I've had an 87% hatch rate for quail with this one.

I use that incubator and it works ok if you don't take the instructions too seriously. I've had an 87% hatch rate for quail with this one.
Ok so I don't have to mist them? Did you keep the humidity as high as they say? And adjust temp depending on what day it was? With my NR360 I incubate at 99.5f and 45-50 % humidity. Would this be the same?

Ok so I don't have to mist them? Did you keep the humidity as high as they say? And adjust temp depending on what day it was? With my NR360 I incubate at 99.5f and 45-50 % humidity. Would this be the same?
I don't mist them and I keep the temp at about 45-50% until lockdown when I increase it by about 10%. No, I don't adjust the temp by the day, at most you'd increase it by about .5 before lockdown, but I don't do that. Just a heads up, I was incubating quail. I incubate at about 37°c usually, and I'm not sure of the equivalent in Fahrenheit.

I don't mist them and I keep the temp at about 45-50% until lockdown when I increase it by about 10%. No, I don't adjust the temp by the day, at most you'd increase it by about .5 before lockdown, but I don't do that. Just a heads up, I was incubating quail. I incubate at about 37°c usually, and I'm not sure of the equivalent in Fahrenheit.
Ok thanks. I did quail my last hatch and was told by someone that has hatched both quail and chickens that it was same temp and humidity

Ok thanks. I did quail my last hatch and was told by someone that has hatched both quail and chickens that it was same temp and humidity
I'm not really sure. It works to do it the same, but chickens need more specific conditions for incubation. It does work, I was simply mentioning that I'm only used to quail.

From Amazon - the more you spend, the better your hatch rate will be in the long run.

You may have a few good intial hatches, but those cheaper units will wear out quickly.

From Amazon - the more you spend, the better your hatch rate will be in the long run.

You may have a few good intial hatches, but those cheaper units will wear out quickly.
I only need it for this one hatch. Don't plan on doing another one this size again. Lol. I already have a NR360.

Back
Top Bottom