Ingrown feather or tumor?

Heathermc12

Hatching
Jun 7, 2023
IMG_7416.jpeg

If these pictures aren’t good enough - sorry. My goose moves around non-stop. I’m concerned with this lump I discovered. I’m aware I can take to vet but my near by vets are not farm animal experienced. By near I mean within 300 mile radius. I’d like to add that also my goose would do terrible at a standard vet. He does not do well with a lot of people or taken away from his partner. I’m wondering if this is a tumor or an ingrown feather? Should I try to drain it? What’s the best ointment to use afterwards?

I’d like to add that this appeared about a month ago but was a lot smaller - I assumed it was a bug sting and disregarded. He eats and acts completely normal.

Attachments

• IMG_7415.jpeg
    IMG_7415.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7411.jpeg
    IMG_7411.jpeg
    983.4 KB · Views: 4
Is it that lump above his eye? Is there any signs of an (old) injury anywhere on it? Is it hard or squishy?

Is it that lump above his eye? Is there any signs of an (old) injury anywhere on it? Is it hard or squishy?
I haven’t gotten close enough to tell. I will say that when he’s in his run and he knows it’s bed time he’ll run aggressively and it’s possible hurt his face into the fencing or something else while trying to dodge me guiding him in the coop but yes it’s above the eye

I haven’t gotten close enough to tell. I will say that when he’s in his run and he knows it’s bed time he’ll run aggressively and it’s possible hurt his face into the fencing or something else while trying to dodge me guiding him in the coop but yes it’s above the eye
It looks like an abscess to me, which might need to be drained. Me, personally, would attempt to see if it will go away on its own, but because it's getting bigger, you might want to drain it. When I drained an abscess on my hen, it was recommended (by an animal except who would be doing a lot of abscess drainings) to drain it with a sterile, hollow needle. I didn't have a hollow needle, but I did have a large needle that worked just fine. Because it's by the eye, and it doesn't sound like you are able to handle him much, it might be too dangerous to use a needle. Again, I would wait it out. It's a small abscess, so I'd be more concerned with risking further injury over anything else.

If the goose is aggressive and you want to hold him without him hurting you, here's how: Corner him and grab him by the beak. With his wings folded in, hold his body firmly between your lower legs. I used to have an aggressive gander and I had found that by holding him by his beak (feet still touching the ground, obviously), I had more control over him. Then the next thing I would do was to keep him in a position where he couldn't get me with his wings. By doing both of those things, I would have complete control over him without getting injured. (The fun part, of course, is when it's time to let go. If you have him in his pen, hold his beak until you're out, then let go as you close the gate.)

Back
Top Bottom