Integration problems

TSP

Chirping
Nov 28, 2019
Wisconsin Zone 3 weather
Long time reader, first post. Sorry the length is “War and Peace” like, but having read so many threads, I figured I’d answer as many of the commonly asked questions as I could up front.
My coop is 7’ by 4’ elevated with an enclosed run beneath that is open for the birds to “free range” in a fenced in 50’ by 50’ yard. I started least year with 4 pullets (Easter eggers). I lost two to predation (neighbor’s dog) hence the addition of the large fenced in area last fall. Since the fence went in, there have been no other problems. Two pullets doesn’t supply enough eggs, so when I found some fertile Bielefelder eggs, I got and hatched out a few. I now have two Easter eggers that are about nine months old and a week ago, I moved the fully feathered 10 week old Bielefelder chicks out of the unheated garage and in with the older ladies. The Biels are two pullets and one cockerel. At ten weeks they are nearly the size of the Easter Eggers and I thought they would be ok. I put the biels in the coop with the pop door (which opens side to side, not up and down) wedged open about two inches. The Easter Eggers would frequently sleep on a tree branch in the run anyway, and usually only go into the coop itself to lay, so I didn’t think the older birds would get too bent sleeping in the run for a couple of days. They can see one another and poke heads in and out. After two days and no major malfunctions, I opened the door and let the threesome out. It was like a WWF cage match! The biels couldn’t get out quick enough and took to roosting on anything that was available in the yard. The cockerel got stuck in a snow bank up to his wings and had to be rescued. I put them to bed that night and separated them as above and tried the same experiment Sunday (two days ago). Same same! Now it’s Tuesday and I’m thinking of trying it again as it’s going to get cold here in the next few days. We live in northern Wisconsin. Daytime temps have been close to freezing, nights in the high 20’s, but it’s going to get down around zero shortly. I think the older birds would be fine with the cold, but the coop itself always runs A few degrees warmer than outside and the run is just hardware cloth with clear plastic to keep the wind and snow out over the winter. I’d like for all of them o be able to go into the coop when it gets cold, but only if they aren’t going to kill one another or get chased off into the snow. How long can I expect the big ones to keep beating up the littles? Any thoughts? I had the “littles” in a fairly large dog kennel in the garage and they could go back in there to get a bit bigger if necessary. I know it’s about resources, I put out an additional feeder and heated waterer when I put them together. Plenty of food, plenty of space, plenty of water... I may put the Easter Eggers in the coop with them at dusk and just go out very early tomorrow morning hoping not to find Cogburn the rooster pecked to death.

Has anyone actually been injured? Integration is no fun at all and I have tried and failed a couple times in the last couple weeks with my 4 littles. If I only had one coop, I would put them together and let them work it out, unless someone actually got hurt. When something like that happens, I separate the bully out, and I also put the injured chicken in sick bay.

Did they have any time side by side in a see/no touch situation? That is usually necessary, but I've been doing that for months and my integration didn't work out. I do have a particularly aggressive hen that drew blood on a cockerel within seconds of trying to integrate. She seems okay with the subordinate cockerel, but the 4 littles seem to want to be together when evening comes, so at least until this rain stops I'm not trying again. But, I have multiple coops.

Is there any way to divide your run and put an extra little coop in there for the littles? When I had to do that in a pinch once, I ordered a very inexpensive prefab through Wayfair. I knew it would fall apart after a season, but it actually last a couple years, and served me well for such needs.

Do you have a lot of obstacles in the run? That helps little ones to get away from aggressors. Putting food and water in a blocked-from-view space helps too. Don't create any dead end obstacles.

I hope this helps. I've had easy integrations and hard ones. This one is hard, because of the cockerels. Hens need to teach them how to be gentlemen, but they do not need to harm them.

Valerie,
Thanks for the reply. No injuries, but it was just too darn cold outside, so I moved the little uns back in the garage to the kennel and will probably keep them inside until spring (or at least until they are a bit bigger than the Easter Eggers, which at the rate they are growing may not be long). The biels are going to be big, big birds as adults.
Tim

Good luck with your integration! My oldest hen hates little chickens so when I got some chicks I temporarily rehomed her until they grew enough to not be hurt. When I brought her back home she was the bottom of the pecking order, but she's lucky they weren't nearly as mean as she was. This year I got point of lay pullets and it went very smoothly, so it could be that once your young ones get some size to them it will go better. I feel for you, with it being so cold out your options are more limited! Sounds like your setup would work well in warmer weather for sure. Good luck and keep us posted!

Flip them, put the chicks out in the coop/run. And the hens in the garage. This will discombobulate everyone. The thing is, you are trying to add the chicks to the hen's territory. Instead, make it the chicks territory. Let them live there a week.

Then divide and conquer, just put one hen in with them. She cannot chase three birds without wearing herself out, and she will soon get tired of it. Wait for that, then add the last bird, maybe a week later. By that time, the original coop will be strange to her, the old flock mate will be strange to her, and the chicks will have some territorial rights.

Put her in close too dark. And at that point I think it will be a go. But do get down there early in the morning.

Now they will still act like two flocks until the pullets start laying. But they should mostly ignore each other, or just an occasional, mind your manners peck.

Mrs K

Valerie,
Thanks for the reply. No injuries, but it was just too darn cold outside, so I moved the little uns back in the garage to the kennel and will probably keep them inside until spring (or at least until they are a bit bigger than the Easter Eggers, which at the rate they are growing may not be long). The biels are going to be big, big birds as adults.
Tim
Actually, I do this all the time. I don't combine my chicks with my hens until they are nearly the same size. But, rather than the garage, I have an adjacent run and coop for them to live in. I think we are very alike this way. I don't want to risk having a chick injured.

Mrs.K,
Thanks. I think that is a great idea. It is supposed to warm up to about freezing next week. I may well give that a try once we get a respite from the current sub zero weather.
Valerie,
I really should have a second coop and run out there. The secure, fenced in part of the yard is 50’ x 50’ and there are five dwarf apple trees in there. I’m going to plan on that for spring.
Thanks again,

Mrs.K,
Thanks. I think that is a great idea. It is supposed to warm up to about freezing next week. I may well give that a try once we get a respite from the current sub zero weather.
Valerie,
I really should have a second coop and run out there. The secure, fenced in part of the yard is 50’ x 50’ and there are five dwarf apple trees in there. I’m going to plan on that for spring.
Thanks again,
You could just divide off a section of the run you already have and stick a small coop in there. That's what I have done. My chickens are also in a small orchard and I have it divided into 4 sections right now, it's usually in 3. Each has a coop. Helps me manage all sorts of chicken challenges.

Back
Top Bottom