Intense restlessness before first egg?

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
My Black Australorps are officially 6 months-old, and one (Pepper) has been squatting for over 2 weeks.

For the last several days, Pepper has been frantically pacing the pen and going in and out of the nest box. She even spent the night in it. I'm assuming this is all normal? My Golden Comet went from squatting to laying in about 12 hours, no fuss or fanfare... so this is a new experience for us with Pepper.

I imagine if she were egg bound she'd be hunched over and lethargic (not running laps around the pen)? I feel so bad for her. She only settles for treats and tummy rubs.

Thanks for your help.

My Buff Orpington hen Sylvia did the same exact thing, and one day I was gathering the other eggs that my 4 older hens laid and she runs in and plops the egg right out, no problem. But the egg song afterward was probably over an hour long. She was quite proud of herself!
Don't worry about her. She is just being a chicken coming into lay. Some are pretty calm about it and others are so full of drama! 🤣🐔

IMG_6049.jpeg

I knew the second I posted she'd pop it out 😂

First day gathering TWOOOO eggs! LET'S GOOOOO!

Reviving this thread because my second Australorp has been trying to get her first egg out for 3 days. I can't take it anymore, and I'm superstitious so I believe posting here will finally get her to lay.

"Is this normal? When will she lay her egg?" :idunno

Jokes responses only if you're so inclined.

Reviving this thread because my second Australorp has been trying to get her first egg out for 3 days. I can't take it anymore, and I'm superstitious so I believe posting here will finally get her to lay.

"Is this normal? When will she lay her egg?" :idunno

Jokes responses only if you're so inclined.
It worked. It was very scary and I was afraid I was going to lose her (comb turned purple), but she got the egg out. 🥵

Back
Top Bottom