Introduced New Pullets and one has been pecked badly neck and vent

Oct 19, 2017
Lake George, NY
I have a mixed flock. I got my first 5 hens last Spring at a few months old, I raised 5 more baby chicks this Spring and introduced them to the original 5 at a few months first in a separate cage in the coop, then in the coop but with leafy branches and a corner to hide in with their own food. They seem to be doing ok, no blood. The only thing I've noticed is they don't want to sleep on the roost bars with the older hens, they try to stay as far away from them as possible at night.

Cut to now. I recently acquired 2 new Brahma pullets, born in February/March. They are the sweetest most beautiful birds and larger than all of my hens already! They have been quarantined and then in a separate cage in the coop for 5 days. I also took the mean hen, the smallest of my flock - a Golden Sebright - and separated her for those same days. I then tried to reintroduce them all, the first night my poor Brahmas had bloody feet. I fixed them up with Blu Kote and they stopped getting picked on. The second night one of them was pecked badly in the back of the neck, more Blu Kote. Last night the same hen was pecked near her vent, she was bleeding and lost a lot of tail feathers...my heart is so broken. I don't know for sure who is the aggressor although I'm thinking it's the Sebright. I have fixed up my poor Brahma and separated her for now with her buddy in a run until this afternoon when I can setup the separate cage in the coop for them again.

I also ordered pinless peepers. I have been reading and reading and reading, I'm so upset I let this happen to her. Any help, tips or suggestions are much appreciated :)

Brahmas are usually a mild tempered breed, and often they're a bit on the timid side, as well. If you try to integrate them too quickly, they are easily bullied, and the bullying quickly takes its toll in attacking their self confidence. In other words, they can quickly become chronic victims, and that in itself invites even more bullying. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

If you have no other feather-footed breeds, the Brahmas will be a novelty, and attract attention to their unusual feet. One thing I've had success with over the years is to introduce something into the run that resembles the thing that is drawing so much attention. In the case of feathered feet, if you can find a sporting goods store and get several shuttle cocks (the game of badminton) and toss them into the run, that can draw attention away from the Brahma feet and help desensitize the attraction by providing numerous similar targets. In no time, the bullies lose interest.

There's no way to avoid it - you need to spend time observing flock dynamics to identify the bully(s). Yes, pinless peepers is a solution that works much of the time.

Brahmas are usually a mild tempered breed, and often they're a bit on the timid side, as well. If you try to integrate them too quickly, they are easily bullied, and the bullying quickly takes its toll in attacking their self confidence. In other words, they can quickly become chronic victims, and that in itself invites even more bullying. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

If you have no other feather-footed breeds, the Brahmas will be a novelty, and attract attention to their unusual feet. One thing I've had success with over the years is to introduce something into the run that resembles the thing that is drawing so much attention. In the case of feathered feet, if you can find a sporting goods store and get several shuttle cocks (the game of badminton) and toss them into the run, that can draw attention away from the Brahma feet and help desensitize the attraction by providing numerous similar targets. In no time, the bullies lose interest.

There's no way to avoid it - you need to spend time observing flock dynamics to identify the bully(s). Yes, pinless peepers is a solution that works much of the time.
Thank you so much that is a great idea I will pick them up today!!

Back
Top Bottom