Introducing replacement chick from hatchery

wulfbourne

Hatching
Jul 26, 2020
Hi,

Last week my first flock of chickens ever came in. We had ordered 4 Ameraucana and 4 RIR, but one of the Ameraucana had passed away during shipping. The hatchery is sending a replacement this coming week so it should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. The originals were 4 week old pullets, so they will be close to 6 weeks old when the new one comes. How much introduction needs to be done for that age group? I know introducing a single bird isn't always ideal, but since it's a replacement there wasn't really much choice. I couldn't get another one to hang out with her either because our area only allows for 8 chickens.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll be around as I go on this journey with my new ladies :)

Hi,

Last week my first flock of chickens ever came in. We had ordered 4 Ameraucana and 4 RIR, but one of the Ameraucana had passed away during shipping. The hatchery is sending a replacement this coming week so it should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. The originals were 4 week old pullets, so they will be close to 6 weeks old when the new one comes. How much introduction needs to be done for that age group? I know introducing a single bird isn't always ideal, but since it's a replacement there wasn't really much choice. I couldn't get another one to hang out with her either because our area only allows for 8 chickens.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll be around as I go on this journey with my new ladies :)
What hatchery? None I know of would ever ship a single chick. A credit for the one loss would have been issued instead.

As for the question of putting a few days old chick in with 6 week olds, it isn't a workable situation. The babies would have to be separated from the juveniles until they were close in size and maturity.

What hatchery? None I know of would ever ship a single chick. A credit for the one loss would have been issued instead.

As for the question of putting a few days old chick in with 6 week olds, it isn't a workable situation. The babies would have to be separated from the juveniles until they were close in size and maturity.

McMurray hatchery. They will ship it alone because its a 4 week old chick, not a day old one.

4 weeks and 6 weeks is not a huge age gap, so she can go in with the others. Separate her from the others using the 'see but don't touch' method for the first few days, then let her out with the others
This^^^ sounds pretty good.
Might have to mix and match...put one of the older birds in with the new, see how it goes.
How much space do you have...in coop and run...in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

This^^^ sounds pretty good.
Might have to mix and match...put one of the older birds in with the new, see how it goes.
How much space do you have...in coop and run...in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

The run is apx 11.5 feet by 13.5 feet. The coop is about 5.5 feet by 3.5 feet. They are still currently inside, probably until about the end of this week. We are putting the finishing touches on the run.

The run is apx 11.5 feet by 13.5 feet. The coop is about 5.5 feet by 3.5 feet. They are still currently inside, probably until about the end of this week. We are putting the finishing touches on the run.
What is the inside housing like, can you divide it?
You could try to get them together inside, or just put them all outside at the same time.
Gotta say tho, 4x5 is not big enough for 8 full grown birds.

Back
Top Bottom