ellieV03

Hatching
Aug 23, 2023
Hi everyone,
my quail hatched four chicks two days ago and they are doing great; but she was brooding six eggs and when the four I mentioned before hatched she just left the nest.

So I took the other two eggs since she was ignoring them, I looked at them through light and saw that they were developing like the other four.

One of them seems to have a fully formed chick, you can clearly see the beak and the little feet and the second one seems to be in a previous stage of developing (I think she laid that egg later in time) but it still has some red veins in it.
I kept both of the eggs warm for the past two days, but in both there doesn't seem to be any movement and I'm not sure if I should keep going with them.

How do I know if the chicks are actually alive in the eggs?
And when do I decide it's not worth to keep trying to hatch them?

Hi everyone,
my quail hatched four chicks two days ago and they are doing great; but she was brooding six eggs and when the four I mentioned before hatched she just left the nest.

So I took the other two eggs since she was ignoring them, I looked at them through light and saw that they were developing like the other four.

One of them seems to have a fully formed chick, you can clearly see the beak and the little feet and the second one seems to be in a previous stage of developing (I think she laid that egg later in time) but it still has some red veins in it.
I kept both of the eggs warm for the past two days, but in both there doesn't seem to be any movement and I'm not sure if I should keep going with them.

How do I know if the chicks are actually alive in the eggs?
And when do I decide it's not worth to keep trying to hatch them?
I'd say keep taking care of them until they smell them immediately get rid of them. Do you have the fggs with any humidity? Are they in an incubator, if so what is the temp? What day would you say they are on?

I'd say keep taking care of them until they smell them immediately get rid of them. Do you have the fggs with any humidity? Are they in an incubator, if so what is the temp? What day would you say they are on?
I kept them warm with the method of warm water and the heat lamp for this days but today my father will bring me the incubator

I kept them warm with the method of warm water and the heat lamp for this days but today my father will bring me the incubator
okay thats great! if they look like they are on day 17 or so then you should keep them in lockdown. anytime under that and they should be turned.

One seems to be on day 17/18 and the other is less developed so I'd say between day 14/15
well that is a little problematic! you really just got to pick one egg to put in the incubator and keep one where it is currently. its your choice, but id say put the underdeveloped one in the incubator and try to let the other one hatch where it is. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom