Is this a D'uccle? And what color?

Maybe obvious to you, but the person running the auction who sells thousands of chickens a year, said he was pretty sure it was a female.
I don't understand why people like you feel the need to be so rude in your response. Obviously it wasn't obvious to me or the auctioneer or I wouldn't have picked that one. Next time you want to answer someone with such snark, just keep scrolling. Smh...
I did not apparently get the notification for this comment. Whether you realize it or not, "obvious" does not mean you should have known it was a cockerel. We were all less knowledgeable about chickens at one point in time, and that is what BackYard Chickens exists for: to spread knowledge and help people out. "Obvious" simply means that the cockerel has a lot of male-specific feathering for a young age. It has came to be a chicken term, but not many people realize that. The reason I used the term "obvious" is because I wanted to show you what an obvious cockerel looks like compared to a pullet. Therefore, next time before you reply to someone who is supposedly being rude, I suggest for you to keep in mind that there are chicken terms that you have never heard of before.

Last edited:
Pullets do not have such big red comb or wattle.
This is both true and false, depending on breeds. Some pullets of large-combed breeds, like Leghorns, are often mistaken for cockerels because of their quick development. However, neither Silkies nor Silkie mix pullets will grow a big comb or wattles.

Back
Top Bottom