Is this bumblefoot? Please help

Lola Chick

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2023
Lynnwood, Washington
I have a 3mo old Salmon Faverolle who is limping and has a black circle scab on her foot. I am a first time chicken mum, should I take her to the vet? It looks like she’s in pain and I’ve been spraying the vetericyn on her injury twice a day and cleaned out her bedding area. What should I do?

Attachments

• IMG_9566.jpeg
    IMG_9566.jpeg
    374.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9565.jpeg
    IMG_9565.jpeg
    448.8 KB · Views: 23
if I have chance I will write up a few thing on how to care for bumblefoot.
Hopefully someone else can help out.

I have a 3mo old Salmon Faverolle who is limping and has a black circle scab on her foot. I am a first time chicken mum, should I take her to the vet? It looks like she’s in pain and I’ve been spraying the vetericyn on her injury twice a day and cleaned out her bedding area. What should I do?
If you do a search for "chickenlandia+YouTube", you'll find many videos from the chickenlandia lady. She's so sweet and super informative. She loves teaching others about how to raise chickens. I can't say for 100% sure that she has one on bumblefoot, but it's worth a try checking.

If you do a search for "chickenlandia+YouTube", you'll find many videos from the chickenlandia lady. She's so sweet and super informative. She loves teaching others about how to raise chickens. I can't say for 100% sure that she has one on bumblefoot, but it's worth a try checking.
Thank you, I did watch her video and bought the Prid Hylands salve which should arrive by today. I’ll start doing the epson salt bath tonight and then the vetericyn and prid salve after. I’m not sure if I need to bandage it after the salve?

Thank you, I did watch her video and bought the Prid Hylands salve which should arrive by today. I’ll start doing the epson salt bath tonight and then the vetericyn and prid salve after. I’m not sure if I need to bandage it after the salve?
Yes. I would say bandage after each treatment (every 24-48 hrs) until healed.

Here is a great article on properly wrapping the foot (it was invaluable to me when I had a girl with bumblefoot):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-correctly-wrap-a-chickens-foot.77028/

Yep that’s the bumble. If you don’t have a vet, you can soften it with water and dig it out gently. It’s a crater under the goop in the foot. It’s infection that the body kind of expelled. You’ll have to sanitize and bandage and keep the others from harassing her. If you can keep her in a crate with food, water, and grit until it heals that’s ideal. It’s like when you cut yourself and it gets infected.

Thank you all so much!! I’m going to give this all a go until I can get into the vet here soon. I found someone that can take her in but waiting on the timing for that. I’ll try to keep her clean until then and let the professionals do any removal if needed. I really appreciate your time and advice! I’m a new chicken mum so I’m learning a lot in a short amount of time!!

Back
Top Bottom