Is this gape worm?

Sonia Gawlas

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 13, 2017
Ive noticed my SLW acting weird a few days ago, shes a bit less active and every now and then i would catch her opening her beak and jerking her head up, sort of like when they take a drink except it looks like shes trying to get air. I looked it up and came across gape worm but im not sure can someone help please? *she doesnt do this all the time, ive noticed it only two times so far

She may be adjusting her crop, they do that all the time, especially if they have a very full crop. Check her crop, see if it's full or empty, hard, soft and squishy, doughy etc. Then check it again first thing in the morning, before she has access to food or water, it should be empty then. It's very common for them to go to roost at night with full crops, and they will digest overnight and it will be empty in the morning. If it's not empty in the morning then there is likely a problem. If the crop is full of fluid, soft and squishy, or doughy and not emptying fully, or has a hard mass that doesn't go away, those indicate problems. If it's empty in the morning, and she's eating and drinking normally, then it just may be crop adjusting. Gapeworm is not impossible, but it's actually fairly rare.

She may be adjusting her crop, they do that all the time, especially if they have a very full crop. Check her crop, see if it's full or empty, hard, soft and squishy, doughy etc. Then check it again first thing in the morning, before she has access to food or water, it should be empty then. It's very common for them to go to roost at night with full crops, and they will digest overnight and it will be empty in the morning. If it's not empty in the morning then there is likely a problem. If the crop is full of fluid, soft and squishy, or doughy and not emptying fully, or has a hard mass that doesn't go away, those indicate problems. If it's empty in the morning, and she's eating and drinking normally, then it just may be crop adjusting. Gapeworm is not impossible, but it's actually fairly rare.
yeah ive known they adjust their crops it just seemed a bit weirder to me this time although i am quite an overthinker so it could just be that lol , but I will try and check her crop tomorrow morning, hopefully its just as u say and i have nothing to worry about, thank you for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom