Is this molting, or is my hen sick?

Fwoof, speckledhen, Meri Maura

I'm having trouble answering without repeating your replies. I'm sorry, is there a way to delete the replies I've quoted, or a link to the directions for better replies?

Thank you ALL so much for your very detailed responses! I’m cc’ing you my reply, so I won’t have to “re-create the wheel!”

My vet clinic has two vets who rotate between three clinics in the area. The first visit she saw a vet not especially knowledgeable about chickens, but he called the other vet, who is a chicken lover and very knowledgeable, he said. He gave her the symptoms over the phone, confirming with her what he thought was a respiratory infection, and the Rx was prescribed.

But you (and others mentioned in other posts) brought up the symptoms of a respiratory infection, coughing, sneezing, sniffling, gasping, runny eyes or a runny nose, just like what a human would have, and my hens have had none of that. The second hen didn't see a vet, just got the Rx, and then I ordered more online, so I wouldn't have to pay so much if this was going to be a chronic issue.

I think you're all correct, it wasn't a respiratory infection at all. I seem to be overthinking things, and really appreciate your knowledge and advice! I haven’t had chickens since I was young, and this is really the first time I’ve paid such close attention. I guess I’m noticing things that are common and usually resolve themselves. You’ve given me peace of mind. Thank you again from a 78-year-old, anxious chicken mom!
You're very welcome! We're happy to help whenever you need it! I hope your chickens will do just fine, and I hope you realize how wonderful a chicken mom you are!

Back
Top Bottom