Isabella Orpington hen cross Blue Orpington Roo

Also, I have seen this color written as Isabel...is it a diff. color or just an incorrect spelling?

I think they are the same thing.
I'm not sure either one is wrong-- probably each is used in a different language, and English speakers are being inconsistent in which one they borrow.

I have a Lavender Brahma roo (parents were Lavender x Isabella). If I cross him back to an Isabella can I expect most of the chicks to also be Isabella?? Is there a way to insure all chicks are Isabella or will you always have a mix of solid lavs and Isabellas?

I think Isabella x Isabella should breed true (produce only Isabella chicks).

For any Lavender who has an Isabella parent, breeding to Isabella will probably produce some Lavender chicks and some Isabella chicks.

I think they are the same thing.
I'm not sure either one is wrong-- probably each is used in a different language, and English speakers are being inconsistent in which one they borrow.

I think Isabella x Isabella should breed true (produce only Isabella chicks).

For any Lavender who has an Isabella parent, breeding to Isabella will probably produce some Lavender chicks and some Isabella chicks.
Thank you for the info!

So I have more questions following an update on these two. I currently have eggs hatching from the cross of my Lavender Roo (pictured) and the Isabella hen shown in the pictures with him. And so far the two chicks that have hatched look black/very dark (they’re still wet). 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ After the explanations given on these two I understood that they should produce lavender chicks with potential reddish leakage from the Isabella. So questions are as follows:

First and foremost did I misunderstand what folks were trying to explain to me? (Most likely scenario)

Or is it possible that while my rooster looks very Lavender that he’s actually blue?? If he’s blue then it would explain the black chicks would it not? He really doesn’t look blue to me but thoughts??

I feel like theres a very very small chance that anyone other than this roo is the culprit, but just background on that; I bought these two and they were in with other roosters I believe we’re blue Orpingtons. They were bought and separated on Feb 21 and no possibility of anyone else after that. So it had been a month since she could have been bred by anything else. I feel like that should have been a safe amount of time but ???

And if neither of the above scenarios is plausible, then what do you think has gone on here? As always, I appreciate all your inputs.

So I have more questions following an update on these two. I currently have eggs hatching from the cross of my Lavender Roo (pictured) and the Isabella hen shown in the pictures with him. And so far the two chicks that have hatched look black/very dark (they’re still wet). 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ After the explanations given on these two I understood that they should produce lavender chicks with potential reddish leakage from the Isabella.
I agree about what they "should" produce, so I would wait until the chicks dry and fluff up. They may be the right color after that.

First and foremost did I misunderstand what folks were trying to explain to me? (Most likely scenario)
I think you've got it right.
Or is it possible that while my rooster looks very Lavender that he’s actually blue?? If he’s blue then it would explain the black chicks would it not? He really doesn’t look blue to me but thoughts??
I agree that a blue rooster could sire black chicks, but I really do not think he looks blue.

I feel like theres a very very small chance that anyone other than this roo is the culprit, but just background on that; I bought these two and they were in with other roosters I believe we’re blue Orpingtons. They were bought and separated on Feb 21 and no possibility of anyone else after that. So it had been a month since she could have been bred by anything else. I feel like that should have been a safe amount of time but ???
Your rooster is probably the father, but yes there is a small chance that one of those roosters is the father instead.

And if neither of the above scenarios is plausible, then what do you think has gone on here?
Any chance that you incubated eggs from a different hen?

Other than that, I think you have covered all the possibilities, but you won't be able to tell what really happened until the chicks are nice and dry and you can see their color accurately.

So the wise sages of Backyard chickens are correct again. :bow:bow:bow Thankyou oh wise chicken masters for keeping me sane as I embark on my crazy chicken raising adventure. All joking aside Thankyou because I was really doubting myself even though I’ve been trying to research and learn as much as I can.

These chicks are changing color as they fluff up. I just wanted to add a couple of pictures so that maybe another newbie will stumble across them if finding themselves in a similar situation.

So this is what the first lavender chicks looked like when they were hatched. Completely dark, especially through the cover of the incubator. The chick in this picture is not a lavender Orpington- just so y’all know. It’s an EE, but it was the last chick hatched and I couldn’t open the bator to get good pictures until the last one was coming out. but for color reference this is what the Lavender Orpingtons looked like.
A61E9BB5-A56E-4DEF-9756-5E09E59E90A2.jpeg

And now this is one of the lavender chicks from the beginning. Although still not dry you can already see that it’s getting lighter colored and looking like it’s sp’ose to.

708424E8-4796-4938-A733-3C3F4D4B8DEE.jpeg

So there you have it. Don’t despair if your lavender chicks appear dark and black as they come out. Happy chickening.

Back
Top Bottom