Its my hatch day 21!!!!! How long till they break out of the eggs?

gavbarker

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
East yorkshire uk
Hi i have just got in from work its day 21 for me so should be hatch day i havent had anyhting up to now not a noise or movemnt with the eggs so im not feeling very hopefull. I was just wondering once they stary to break throug the egg haw long does it usually take i mean are we talking a matter of hins or does it go on for hours?

This is the hardest part for me. I find my best success is when I am busy and not watching. The hatching could take hours and if the temps were off a little then you may have a late hatch in a couple of days. You should start seeing the pipping first and then it could be minutes or hours. I try to plan my hatches for when I am at work. Then I go home, check the hatcher, and see all the new babies. It keeps me from wanting to help or open the hatcher. Good Luck.

My first chick took about 24 hours purely because it chose to break through towards the end of the egg rather than the middle and most of the shell was in bits before it finally emerged! The second one went for the meridian and it was a classic in two halves break, and a lot quicker. I should have a 'sicky' tomorrow and stay at home!
smile.png
How many eggs have you got and what are they?

Oh no dont say 24 hours lol i will be up all night now watching. Iv got 6 light susex to hatch and 3 marran egges all due today i was hopeing there would be something goig on when i got back from work so i hopeing i see something before i go tomorow. how long do u recomed i keep them in the bator before i move them into the brooder? I want to do it as soon as i can as its looking a bit cramped in there.

Oooh lovely! Are they local eggs or e-bay ones?

I'm so envious of our friends in The States just being able to get chicks in the post and from the feed stores...... we have to work SO hard for them!!:|

well the 3 marran one im doing for a lady i rent some land off and the 6 light susex ones are from 2 of my hens that got eaten by a fox a few weeks back so i saved the eggs and im going to try and carry on the legesy of them lol at least i will have something to remember them by.

Hurray, glad it's not just me! I hatched two from my rescue hen (now recycled through a fox) and now rather battered buff orpington! They look exactly like their dad!
You should keep the chicks in the incubator until they dry out at least. Just sneak in and whip out the shells, the dampness as they dry off will keep the humidity up! Hey I'm talking like an old pro..... feel free to correct me if I'm on the wrong tack!!

no that seems right to me think i will get the brooder up and going soon so it will be nice and warm for the morning if i end up gets in few during the night im not looking fwd to it i wont get any sleep i was up every 5 mins last night checking and that was only day 20 lol

gavbarker some of mine pipped on day 21 and hatched on day 22, others pipped day 21 early am and hatched late the same night, the last few didn't pip till day 22 but hatched out before the day was out.

If my experience is any indication. You can go ahead and sleep. Everytime one of mine hatched it would make a racket.LOL! That first
jumpy.gif
birth chirp was earsplitting,
ep.gif
Then the chick would
th.gif
take a short nap to gather strength ...then it was
wee.gif
wee.gif
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom