I've been on here before for my now at least 6 weeks old chickens, but now there's a different problem. Hen or rooster?

DisChickens

In the Brooder
May 16, 2023
So, I've been here before to ask about my chicks' breeds and if the Rural King signs were accurate or not, because I've heard they can be wrong sometimes. But now I'm here again, worried about roosters. I only have pictures of one that I'm certain is a rooster, but I've never sexed chicks before so I have no idea. I got pictures of its head, body and tail. I can take more if needed.
IMG20230622113326.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230622113314.jpg
    IMG20230622113314.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG20230622113310.jpg
    IMG20230622113310.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 14
Tails aren't a good indicator of gender when they're young. Both females and males can have an upright tail at any age.
Thanks, I was just looking up how to tell the difference, and the pictures they give talk about the saddle feathers, combs and wattles, and tails.

My white leghorns always run around with tails sticking straight up. I agree that tail position, at any age, isn’t a good gender indicator. I also think five weeks is young to identify with saddle or sickle feathers.

I agree with jed. At that age, comb and wattles are good indicators and your pics lean heavily toward pullet.

My white leghorns always run around with tails sticking straight up. I agree that tail position, at any age, isn’t a good gender indicator. I also think five weeks is young to identify with saddle or sickle feathers.

I agree with jed. At that age, comb and wattles are good indicators and your pics lean heavily toward pullet.
Thank you, it's just I've never really owned chickens before and have no idea how to tell if they'll be a hen or rooster and I'm not really allowed to have roosters where I live because of neighbors and everything. I'll keep checking their combs and wattles and sending pictures of I see another one I think might be a rooster.

Thank you, it's just I've never really owned chickens before and have no idea how to tell if they'll be a hen or rooster and I'm not really allowed to have roosters where I live because of neighbors and everything. I'll keep checking their combs and wattles and sending pictures of I see another one I think might be a rooster.
We all have to start at some point. Once you get a couple under your belt you’ll be a pro at identifying.

Yeah, I get the township ordinance thing. It’s a bummer. In my case the zoning line is literally my road. So, I “can’t” have a rooster, but my across the road neighbors can… Some things don’t make sense. But I’ve found being nice to the people around you, and occasional gifts of eggs, go a long way to building good will.

Hope she’s a pullet. 😁

Back
Top Bottom