Just heard a coyote on the baby monitor

Sandy001

In the Brooder
Oct 15, 2016
MIddle TN
Yes I have a baby monitor for the chickens.. The monitor is out in their house and I can hear anything and everything that goes on in the hen house a 100 feet away. I seen a coyote about a week ago out in the front pasture but didn't get a shot at him or her. I live in the country on a 180 acre family farm and have heard them almost nightly my entire life if out sitting on the front or back porch but this is the first time since I have had the chickens and the monitor that I have heard them over the monitor so I guess it was pretty close. I'm not going to worry much over the coyote because I truly doubt it will be a problem concerning the chickens. The chickens are locked up nightly in their sure house. Now Mr. Raccoon is entirely another story and he's the main reason behind the baby monitor and the reason I renovated the old chicken house as well as I could possibly do it. I figure If I hear something going on during the night I can get out there reasonably pretty quick and so far I haven't had to make a dash out there in the middle of the night. I recall one night awhile back the monitor woke me up in the middle of the night and it scared me to death and I jumped up thinking something was trying to get in the hen house. I was thinking the worst until I opened the back door and realized it was a heavy rain that was hitting the tin roof of the hen house with the monitor very close to the top of the tin roof if sounded just like something was tearing the roof off the hen house. Mr. Roo usually starts with his crowing the earliest it was 3:29 am and that's when the monitor beside my bed goes click.
D.gif

Yes I have a baby monitor for the chickens.. The monitor is out in their house and I can hear anything and everything that goes on in the hen house a 100 feet away. I seen a coyote about a week ago out in the front pasture but didn't get a shot at him or her. I live in the country on a 180 acre family farm and have heard them almost nightly my entire life if out sitting on the front or back porch but this is the first time since I have had the chickens and the monitor that I have heard them over the monitor so I guess it was pretty close. I'm not going to worry much over the coyote because I truly doubt it will be a problem concerning the chickens. The chickens are locked up nightly in their sure house. Now Mr. Raccoon is entirely another story and he's the main reason behind the baby monitor and the reason I renovated the old chicken house as well as I could possibly do it. I figure If I hear something going on during the night I can get out there reasonably pretty quick and so far I haven't had to make a dash out there in the middle of the night. I recall one night awhile back the monitor woke me up in the middle of the night and it scared me to death and I jumped up thinking something was trying to get in the hen house. I was thinking the worst until I opened the back door and realized it was a heavy rain that was hitting the tin roof of the hen house with the monitor very close to the top of the tin roof if sounded just like something was tearing the roof off the hen house. Mr. Roo usually starts with his crowing the earliest it was 3:29 am and that's when the monitor beside my bed goes click.
D.gif
We hear coyotes quite often here we're out in the country too. main thing is making sure our birds have secure housing especially at night and good fencing. We do the best we can with what we have. Mine free range over half an acre fenced in and I don't have an LGD I do have 5 dogs that I believe keep alot of preds far enough away I don't have to worry too much. Your set up looks nice.

We have coyotes singing close here too, and it's fine with me. Secure housing for the chickens at night, and two larger dogs in the fenced in yard, although they aren't with the chickens, it still helps. No sheep or Chihuahuas either. Mary

I have a Fox problem...That is another story.....Two Coyotes were in my Pasture a month ago mid afternoon...My Coop is behind my house as is my pasture....I have 3 Farm dogs..one is a LGD....He is one to stay and protect the flock and sound the alarm..I have a Year old Aussie/Golden Retriever in training ....She ran those Coyotes off...Even my Horses took off running when she went on attack....Have not heard a Coyote close by since she ran them off...

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom