Just need to share some good news 😄

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
We've had workers in our house for about a week doing some renovation projects. Four days ago, one of them accidentally tripped the breaker while closing the breaker box to the part of our house where my two incubators are plugged in. I was running errands and walked up to my incubators about 2 and a half hours later to find them cold and silent. It was shocking and I'm not gonna lie, I cried for about an hour. The eggs were on day 9 where they are so active, and adorable, and you start to get attached. I felt so guilty that I put the eggs in this situation and then this happened. The thought of happy, active embryos being stuck in a cold incubator really haunts me for reason. They're so helpless. Anyways, four days later I candled them and only lost 3 out of 27!!!! They look so healthy and are growing and active. I'm so relieved. Prayers were definitely answered. I know it's a little over the top, but maybe someone can relate to this! Hopefully for those of you in a similar situation you can have some hope that all might not be lost for your hatch! Now to a question: are these eggs out of the woods yet? Or is the fact that they are alive and well currently still not mean the hatch with go normally bc of the outage?

We've had workers in our house for about a week doing some renovation projects. Four days ago, one of them accidentally tripped the breaker while closing the breaker box to the part of our house where my two incubators are plugged in. I was running errands and walked up to my incubators about 2 and a half hours later to find them cold and silent. It was shocking and I'm not gonna lie, I cried for about an hour. The eggs were on day 9 where they are so active, and adorable, and you start to get attached. I felt so guilty that I put the eggs in this situation and then this happened. The thought of happy, active embryos being stuck in a cold incubator really haunts me for reason. They're so helpless. Anyways, four days later I candled them and only lost 3 out of 27!!!! They look so healthy and are growing and active. I'm so relieved. Prayers were definitely answered. I know it's a little over the top, but maybe someone can relate to this! Hopefully for those of you in a similar situation you can have some hope that all might not be lost for your hatch! Now to a question: are these eggs out of the woods yet? Or is the fact that they are alive and well currently still not mean the hatch with go normally bc of the outage?
Congratulations 🎉 I know that I stress even when I DO have power 🤣

You aren’t out of the woods until the last egg hatches, or doesn’t. I don’t think there’s much normal about incubation - you just never know what will happen. But I’ve always found that after they get past about 14 days, they seem to continue developing.

I hope you have a great hatch - how fun! Please keep us updated on how things are going, and of course, pics of the babies ❤️

Did the chicks ever hatch?! And do you know a reason for an egg to give up at day 18? Because that happened to us last time we incubated.

Did the chicks ever hatch?! And do you know a reason for an egg to give up at day 18? Because that happened to us last time we incubated.
I know you weren't asking me, but @AltonaAcres hasn't been on since May so probably won't get back to you for a while.

Chicks can quit late for many reasons, but the most common is incorrect turning, temperature, or humidity during incubation. Did you salt test a hygrometer and calibrate a thermometer to check your incubator temp against during incubation?

I know you weren't asking me, but @AltonaAcres hasn't been on since May so probably won't get back to you for a while.

Chicks can quit late for many reasons, but the most common is incorrect turning, temperature, or humidity during incubation. Did you salt test a hygrometer and calibrate a thermometer to check your incubator temp against during incubation?
I didn’t do any of those things, but 15 eggs out of 18 fertile ones hatched, 4 infertile, so we got lucky. After a few days after day 22 we cracked the remainders, two which gave up around a week old, and one that gave up around day 18! It looked like a chick, just deathly pale. But thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom