Keep bantams warm in below freezing temps

Tiffy316

Songster
Mar 30, 2019
Hey guys. I'm going to convert an old shed into a coop for my bantams and wanted some tips on how to make it so that they'll stay warm when the below freezing temps hit. I've got some old English game bamtams, cochin bantams, as wellbas an assortment of other ridiculously tiny chickens, so I'm worried about how to keep them warm this coming winter.

IDK if I should bring them inside when it gets cold, or if there's a way to make the shed wark enough fot them to survive the winter. I live in KS, and sometimes the temps can get into the teens and below in the winter. How can I make it warm enough for them to survive temps that can easily get below 20 degrees?

I keep bantams. Have Seramas, Japanese Bantams, and American Game hen. Plus some mixes. I currently have 5 banties and 2 LF.. all pets, BTW I keep mine in their winter housing, which is a large pigeon loft inside my garage. When temps drop into really cold zone, I heat the garage with my wood stove. I only try to heat garage to about 32°F or slightly warmer. This way the chickens do not assume it is warm spring time, and start to molt their feathers.
I have water in warming containers for them in multiple spots.
My garage does not need to be heated every night, unless temps are really low. The sun warms up the structure, so temps are slightly higher then outdoors.
Your shed is somewhat a smaller structure. It can get pretty cool overnight . Another thing to take into consideration. Your shed does need to be vented well. That also translates to temps dropping overnight.
My large garage, with all things inside,, takes longer to loose its total heat. There are vents inside my garage as well.
My best suggestion, for your shed coop, would be a heated roost bar. There are some available for purchase, I never did look into purchasing one. I have considered making one myself from various items. One I considered using, was a heated pipe tape. I also considered making from a steel pipe, and inside holding a few incandescent light bulbs. The steel pipe would be wrapped with indoor-outdoor carpeting. I have made a reptile warmer using a small light bulb inside a stone like thing made from cement. (sand - cement mixture like for sidewalks)
Such a device, (roost bar) would keep your banties warm while sleeping overnight, as well as add some dry heat into coop interior. You could adjust the heat output of your device with a dimmer switch control. It would be a trial and learn curve,,, to fine tune your settings.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I have a Cozy coop heater and a heating pad. My coop is also insulated. I’m a bit worried as well as this will be my first winter with seramas so I plan to put a thermometer in their coop and if it gets below 40 F in there I’ll probably buy an oil filled radiator. Or bring them indoors.

All of my bantams sleep on self heating cat and dog beds with mylar sewn inside during the winter. I sat on a small one when outdoors during the winter and certainly kept my tush warm. I've seen videos with mylar insulated coops for raising chicks on a homestead. I haven't tried it with any chicks under 1.5 months old.

Back
Top Bottom