• 4x4 inch cattle panels

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • other....

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

KelsT

Chirping
Apr 6, 2015
I like in Kitsap County WA in the woods. I know we have fox, bobcat and coyotes... haven't seen any coons I think because of the coyotes. also have hawks and eagles. We also have bear but rarely see them and not sure there is much i could do for them anyways.

Then of course mice and rats more mice then rats (Only seen rats 1 time and we killed them). I do have shop cats but I don't let them outside due to the coyotes, lost too many to them.

I had planned on just using hardware cloth... then had someone suggest I use cattle panels (they are on sale for 20 bucks) this seems like overkill and then i still need something else that has smaller openings.

I have been looking online and I am confused. I swear I never would have imagined so many different approaches to coops and runs until I went to build one!

So I checked around and I could get welded wire as some suggest anywhere from 2"x4" opening down to 1"x1" openings.... or go with 1/2 inch hardware cloth (don't I need 1/4 inch for mice?) I also read the chickens will kill mice is this true? I did read that the 1/4 inch hardware cloth is much more brittle then 1/2 inch so doesnt break as easy...

So what do you use? has it been 100% effective?

Please help, I am lost with all the options and have no idea what will really keep the hens safe!

THANKS!!!!

Hardware cloth is great! Fasten it with screws and big fat broad washers in the corners for extra security! I've never had a hardware cloth breach.

2 x 4 welded wire over the entire run, including the top. However, the very bottom 4 feet of the run is reinforced with 1/2 inch hardware cloth on top of the welded wire.

Last edited:
2 x 4 welded wire with inner perimeter of hotwire about 4 inches away from welded wire. An outer perimeter of three strands of hotwire also. Seasonally when no free-ranging birds an intermediate perimeter of electrified poultry netting. Two dogs have total access and get after parties challenging perimeters with most encounters outside the outer perimeter.

Hardware cloth is great! Fasten it with screws and big fat broad washers in the corners for extra security! I've never had a hardware cloth breach.
what size mesh do you use, and what predators do you have in your area?

Back
Top Bottom