Lame limping chicken - need advice - no vet available really

Hen123

Hatching
Jul 9, 2023
One of my ex-battery hens is not weight baring on one leg and limping. Could anyone offer advice please?

I'm struggling to get a vet (apparently there's a shortage in my area) and tbh previous vet trips have been completly pointless because they don't seem to know anything about birds! Even a Chicken Vet (UK website) recommended one hasn't really helped in the past.

She's a special hen ❤
4-4.5yrs old. Had her 3 years.
Normal weight for her, about 2.3kg. No obvious weight gain or loss.
The other 2 hens are fine and aren't bullying her. Sometimes they come sit with her. One has a pooey bum but always has one (had her 2y. Wormed several times. Seems happy).
Wormed a few weeks ago.
Had Beryl's friendly bacteria about 6 weeks ago.
No obvious mites.
Fully vaccinated as she's ex commercial.
Gone off lay this last month (4 weeks), prior I think she was laying every few days. We've had some hot wrather though.
Her poo seems a littly runnier than normal.
She seems to be loosing body feathers, similar to when they start moulting. But they usually moult in Sept/Oct.

She's bright, alert, interested and seems mentally to be quite normal. Still chats to the others and me.

This has been going on about 5 days with no signs of improvement. No obvious cuts or bleeding. I fully cleaned her foot and can't see anything so I don't think it's bumble foot.

It's not paralysed; she can grip with her toes and move the leg up and down.
I don't think it's broken; she can move it and will let me move it and poke around. It may be a little tender at the top where the leg goes into the body.
There's no high perches in the run and she hadn't been out the run prior to the limp.

3 days ago she stopped coming out the coop so I'm now getting her up once I'm up, so she's in the coop around 3 hours after the automatic door opens. She is climbing the ramp into the coop at night (I keep missing her going to bed to place her in). She has to use her wings and the foot barely touches the ground. Once out I put her next to the water bowl and offer food. She eats but doesn't drink very often. I'm not sure how often hens drink but it's warm here (in UK).

She will the lie down over to the side similar to when they sun bathe. She might move to near or under the bushes after a while. She maybe moves once or twice per day (apart from going in at night), but only a few feet. She's mostly sat down. I will offer food and water periodically.

Having had the first fox attack in 6 years of hen keeping about 6 weeks ago they've been put in a giant metal cage (not wire) run, with roof, and electric fence but come out if I'm in the garden and can keep watch. I'm unsure if the fox got her. It may have pulled some feathers out her fluffy bum. It got another one on the rear who escaped / the fox ran off as I was rapidly in the garden having heard the calls, but she died an hour later I think of shock :( The hens were quite stressed and shocked after but mostly settled after about 2 weeks.

9 days ago the fox was back very early morning and pacing up and down the fence. The hens called waking me and I instantly ran out. It ran off but they were alarm calling about 30min getting the stress out their system.

6 days ago they called out (with their fox call). No animal in sight. I was ill with a vomit germ so my OH did a perimeter check. All hens were in their run. I only saw 2 hens walking and one was lying down under a bush. I don't know who was who. OH said they all looked ok. Nothing got in the run. The only thing that can maybe get in is rats. Cats, foxes and birds of prey definetly can't. OH wondered if a hen had stuck her head out the run and got zapped by the electric fence but I'm not sure if they can reach it.

OH says he's sure all the hens were walking around later that day.

The limp started the next day, or following one.

Since the original fox attack she has been a bit off. She was being a bit seperate from the others and her bum got a little pooey. I had wondered if she maybe had cancer starting because we've had many hens die of this and they start with a pooey bum and by withdrawing a bit. But it was just a ponder. It may have been the heat, loss of the hen that died, stress from fox, the sudden enclosure (previously fully free ranged and had just come out of bird flu lockdown which they don't like).

I'm undecided if she has water belly. If she does it's not massivly obvious like it has been in previous hens.

Any idea what's going on? If she had pulled muscles wouldn't there be some improvement now?

Is there any point me further trying to get a vet involved given their track record? Would me demanding an xray help? I presume it'd show fractures, tumors or infection (fluid)?

Anything I can do? Someone said one 75mg non dissovable aspirin tablet per day. Is that ok? I have human ibuprofen and paracetomol too if that's ok for birds? I'm unsure if she's in pain when she's off the foot lieing down because she seems fine. But I know they hide things.

Should I be worried about all the sitting down wrt her tummy always against the ground and I've not seen any preening, or dust bathing, but I'm not watching her all day.

Thanks 😊

Thanks for all the info.

I would place her in something similar to a dog crate or small cage in either the coop (if there is room) or the run (as long as it is predator-proof) with her own little food and water. The idea is that everyone can see her, but she won't have a chance to reinjure it, which might be what is happening. Hopefully getting her off it for a couple of days to a week will be all that she needs. If that doesn't work, maybe you can start looking into other conditions.

Bumblefoot doesn't always leave a scar, but is there any swelling that you see in comparison between the two feet?

I have heard of folks using pain relievers for chickens, but I would still try to get her off of it for a time. Hopefully, someone else can comment on what would be recommended, I've never given that medication before.

And oh yes, welcome to BYC! :welcome

Glad to have you here, it sounds like you know your stuff. You may be answering my questions soon enough. 😊

Nothing is improving. I've noticed her breathing is a little noisy.

Could it be Mycoplasma synoviae?

Or could it be scaly mites? Or both?!

Her face doesn't look swollen or gunky.

20230711_090341.jpg
20230711_090103.jpg
20230711_090150.jpg

Yes she has scaly leg mites. That needs to be treated by massaging oil into her scales to smother the mites at least once or twice weekly. It sounds more like she has sprained her leg or hip. I agree that forcing her to rest the leg for a week, and stopping her from roosting would be helpful. Then week by week, examine her walking and repeat if needed. Aspirin or ibuprofen can be used short term. No acetaminophen should be used.

Or could it be scaly mites? Or both?!

Her face doesn't look swollen or gunky.

View attachment 3573337View attachment 3573338View attachment 3573339
Scaly leg mites shouldn't cause limping unless it was a really bad case, but that one isn't so bad yet. I would rub oil on everyone in your flock so that they can't give it back to each other. I made that mistake and my whole flock got it bad when I had my last kid since I was distracted. I use coconut oil since it is thick, but any oil will do.

How is her breathing today? I'm hoping it was just a fluke thing.

Thanks all for the replies. I managed to finally find a vet who deals with chickens albeit some distance away. They did a blood test and it showed her liver and kidney levels are very raised so they're packing up. The vet recommended putting her to sleep soon ish like within a week :(

At the moment she's still the same and seems like her normal self apart from not being able to walk.

Sorry about her blood work. She may have ascites (water belly) from the liver problems. That is very common in older hens, and goes along with reproductive disorders and also cancer. Ascites can cause labored breathing. Reproductive problems can cause problems walking. I tend to let my hens live out their lives spending time with the others. Some have lived with these kinds of problems for awhile. I always watch to see that no one is pecking them, since that can happen if the others since they are weak or dying. I do put them down if they seem to be suffering.

Back
Top Bottom