Layed Evening Egg

MAT10

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2023
Utah
This is going to sound really crazy weird but it happened last night. My 10 month old Salmon Faverole 'Biscuit' was in the nesting box late and when I went out to collect her egg, she was still there. All my other hens had gone to roost. This was around 4:45/5:00 p.m. I waited to give her some time (she lays nearly every day) and then went out again to collect her egg. NO egg. She has gone Broody on me four times so I am a little paranoid.

So, I booted her out only to return and find her back in the nesting box, still with no egg. I booted her out once again and then blocked the nesting boxes off with cardboard. Somehow she got back in so for the third time I went to move her out and lo and behold, she had laid an egg! It is now around 7pm. I have a camera in my coop so I can monitor the chickens & I knew she was not on the roost. I collected her egg and booted her out of the nesting box once again & removed all the cardboard and my sweet little Biscuit went to roost for the night.

Crazy, right? This has got to be a first. Maybe? I am pretty new, just two years into this but, I have never heard of such a thing. I thought chickens laid most their eggs earlier in the mornings and sometimes in early afternoon.

Any comments???

In my flock, it's not unheard of for girls to lay eggs after I've already cooped them for the night. Which isn't so bad in the warm months but can mean uncollected, frozen, cracked eggs in the winter.

I applaud your girl's determination to get into her nest box, despite your determination to keep her out :D.

Last edited:
Sounds like there's no need to worry. I just feel bad when she finally produces & out of my paranoia for broodiness keep kicking her out of the nest. She is sooooo stinkin sweet. ❤🐔🐔

Thanks y'all ☺
I appreciate this site so much. It has helped me out more than once. 👍
0831231912a~2.jpg

This is going to sound really crazy weird but it happened last night. My 10 month old Salmon Faverole 'Biscuit' was in the nesting box late and when I went out to collect her egg, she was still there. All my other hens had gone to roost. This was around 4:45/5:00 p.m. I waited to give her some time (she lays nearly every day) and then went out again to collect her egg. NO egg. She has gone Broody on me four times so I am a little paranoid.

So, I booted her out only to return and find her back in the nesting box, still with no egg. I booted her out once again and then blocked the nesting boxes off with cardboard. Somehow she got back in so for the third time I went to move her out and lo and behold, she had laid an egg! It is now around 7pm. I have a camera in my coop so I can monitor the chickens & I knew she was not on the roost. I collected her egg and booted her out of the nesting box once again & removed all the cardboard and my sweet little Biscuit went to roost for the night.

Crazy, right? This has got to be a first. Maybe? I am pretty new, just two years into this but, I have never heard of such a thing. I thought chickens laid most their eggs earlier in the mornings and sometimes in early afternoon.

Any comments???
As it gets colder mine are laying late morning to mid afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom