left out overnight

burt4750

Chirping
Apr 14, 2020
Lexington, KY
I had two silkies that didn't go into the coop last night (temperatures went down to around 51). It was rainy and damp and still is today. I caught them and dried them off as best as I could. Should I do more, like putting them in the coop and turning on a heat lamp until they dry out)?

Hello! I love how much your chickens mean to you! I feel the same way about my ladies too! ❤️❤️❤️. We had -21f here in Iowa and we didn’t do any heat. Now I don’t have any silkies, mine are Brahmas, Sapphire Splash and Bielefelder. They are little heaters! To the point I could take off my gloves and pet them keeping my hands warm. So the point I am getting at is I believe they will do just fine with you just drying them off. But that is just my opinion, maybe someone that actually has silkies will chime in and override my advice. Keep loving your chickens! They are amazing critters! ❤️❤️❤️🙏

They should be fine if they're completely dried off. Do they have a place to shelter from the rain or cold?

I live in CA so the 51° weather may be different than KY... but I have 1 silkie and 1 silkie mix and they use to refuse going in the coop at night. I read they're not the type to perch but mine would prefer perching on a 4-6ft gate (I'm not sure how they got up there) or in a bush than go inside the coop, rain or shine 🤦‍♀️ but they're still alive! It took time but I had to physically put them inside the coop once it got too dark for them to try to walk back out; but I live in the city where I can also leave the coop door open at night so I assume it would be easier it you close their door at night. And I'm sure your silkies are fine if they're dried and have a place to shelter from the rain.

I had two silkies that didn't go into the coop last night (temperatures went down to around 51). It was rainy and damp and still is today. I caught them and dried them off as best as I could. Should I do more, like putting them in the coop and turning on a heat lamp until they dry out)?
I have silkies and they can be soaked at times. As long as they are put in the coop to dry and it's not freezing outside they should be fine. Do you put your chickens up at night?

Back
Top Bottom