Leg out of socket

chickfused

Songster
Aug 1, 2021
My prize rooster got into a fight with a stall fan and lost. No lacerations, but I think his leg is out of socket. You know how when you eat a drumstick on the top it's round and there's a groove in the big bone that goes in the socket? I can feel that outside of his hip and above it under his wing. The other leg feels normal. I do not feel any grinding or clicking. He has use of his toes and knee though he doesnt want to. He's stumbling around and hopping on his other leg. There are normal reflexes. How do I fix this? He's in so much pain he doesn't want to eat.

Last edited:
You might check around with neighbors who are farmers, or with a farm vet who may own their own chickens. I think the longer a joint is dislocated, it can cause tissue around it to swell and be more difficult to go back into place. So it might be too difficult to do now. I hope that you can try to manipulate it back into joint. With a completely empty crop in the early morning, he probably could be turned upside down with legs extended with some traction on it to get it back in place. But do that with a lot of caution, because I have only heard of doing that with baby chick. With food and water in his crop, he could vomit and choke.

He's slooooowly improving. He's making a more full range of walking motion with his leg and putting a tiny bit of weight on it. Appetite is improving, though I have to hold him up to eat a few times a day. Same for drinking. Leg has returned to proper place, but his knee is twice the size it should be.

Back
Top Bottom