Leghorn having trouble getting on the roost

mldlm

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
Northeast Florida
My leghorn has trouble getting on the roost at night, it is about 34 inches off the ground. She also is having trouble getting into the nesting box, which is about 8 inches off the ground. She only has been having trouble the last few days. From about 10 weeks old, she walks backwards a lot, she is now 17 months old. I wonder if it could be her vision or her legs. Any ideas? Thanks!

It could be a neurological defect caused by genetics, or a vitamin deficiency, or a prolonged episode of wry neck which also can cause anomalies in walking.

These will usually respond fairly well , with the exception of some genetic causes, to Vitamin E 400iu with a tiny sliver of selenium, and vitamin B complex. Found where people vitamins are sold. Give daily directly into beak.

Usually the chicken will respond immediately to the E, but it can take four to six weeks for the B-complex to work.

The perch may be much too high for a heavy bird. None of my heavy breeds were able to navigate a perch more than a foot off the floor. Expecting heavy birds to fly up to a high perch, and most roosters are also in this category, is to invite injuries.

It could be a neurological defect caused by genetics, or a vitamin deficiency, or a prolonged episode of wry neck which also can cause anomalies in walking.

These will usually respond fairly well , with the exception of some genetic causes, to Vitamin E 400iu with a tiny sliver of selenium, and vitamin B complex. Found where people vitamins are sold. Give daily directly into beak.

Usually the chicken will respond immediately to the E, but it can take four to six weeks for the B-complex to work.

The perch may be much too high for a heavy bird. None of my heavy breeds were able to navigate a perch more than a foot off the floor. Expecting heavy birds to fly up to a high perch, and most roosters are also in this category, is to invite injuries.
Thanks. I will give vitamin right away and install a lower roost, too.

I would not consider a leghorn a heavy breed. My perches are 4 - 5 feet off the floor, and the birds get up there easily.

Not that I am against lowering the perches, but I don't think that is the problem.

I would not consider a leghorn a heavy breed. My perches are 4 - 5 feet off the floor, and the birds get up there easily.

Not that I am against lowering the perches, but I don't think that is the problem.
Thanks, Mrs. K. I didn’t lower them after seeing her jump up on a perch in the run that is a good 45 inches high. I did give her (and the other four girls a dose of vitamins). She seems to be doing better. She still walks backward, but I just consider that one of her “quirks “. She walks forward a few steps, and then lowers her head and walks backward a couple of steps. She is fine in every other respect. She is laying eggs just fine. She is bottom of the pecking order.

How much E did you give her how many times for how many days? Try giving her a higher dose of vitamin E and give it with egg or a sliver of a selenium tablet. When torticollis fails to respond to the E, it means not enough is being given or there is a patholigical cause such as cancer affecting the neurological system.

Back
Top Bottom