Legs and feet are changing color

montverdechick

Songster
13 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Central Florida
I noticed this morning that the feet ang legs on one my RI Red chicks are turning blueish in color. Is that normal for that breed at one week old? Also, one of my Americuanas is kind of the same.

Also, can you tell the sex of an Amerucana chick by looking at it? One of mine has cream stripes along side the brown/black ones on it's back, the others don't.

Thanks.

I have RIR's and have not ever noticed any of the legs turning blueish
hmm.png
, what type litter do you have them on? Could it perhaps be some sort of color they are picking up from their surroundings?

If they are running around like normal I think they should be fine. The Americuanas you have will just grow up to be different colors, they aren't sex linked. You should start being able to tell their age at bout 6-8 weeks. Good luck!

Ameraucanas have blue legs. Notice the blue legs on the cockerel in my avatar photo! Some varities......like the buff, wheaten, are born with yellow legs as chicks and after a couple of weeks old (6-8) they begin to turn blue. They call the blue legs......slate color. Now as far as the RIR chick having blue legs, my guess is, it is not a pure RIR. Johnny

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom