Lethargic, clear poops, water balloon crop

silkienewbie93

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
Hi

I have a 2 year old hatchery chicken who’s acting a bit lethargic. She will slowly wander around the coop occasionally but is mostly standing around with her feathers puffed up and sleeping. At first I thought she might be egg bound because she had spent a lot of time in the nesting box and we’d had some wrinkly egg shells recently so I gave her a few warm baths and some calcium. However this was a couple days ago and she wasn’t doing a penguins stance or straining so I suspect she may have just been starting to go broody.

She has been eating a little, not much but she has been drinking. She’s had some poops that were mostly clear but she’s also had one normal looking poop that I saw.

She seems slightly more energetic in the mornings and more lethargic in the afternoons.

I noticed yesterday morning that her crop was semi hard and golf ball sized so I massaged it and gave her a bit of olive oil. This morning her crop feels more squishy like a water balloon. I gave her some apple cider vinegar just now to potentially help with the yeast.

I can feel her breastbone but she’s always been a skinnier chicken so I’m not sure if this has changed.

Her comb is red but a bit floppy. Sometimes it looks a bit darker red than usual but I’m not sure.

Do you think this is an impacted/sour crop issue? Reproductive? Worms/coccidiosis?

I have antibiotics, dewormer and Corid available but I’m not sure which to use, if any, since I don’t think they can all be mixed together in her water.

What type of calcium were you giving her? What is the strength? If not over 600mg, you need to increase her dose.

The crop issue can be related to a reproductive obstruction. Do something. Stand her on a flat surface and place you hand against her vent and push gently. Does she squat when you do that?

Is her vent pulsating and is there a discharge from the vent?

Here is my article on crop disorders so you can try to diagnose which one she has and treat it accordingly. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What type of calcium were you giving her? What is the strength? If not over 600mg, you need to increase her dose.

The crop issue can be related to a reproductive obstruction. Do something. Stand her on a flat surface and place you hand against her vent and push gently. Does she squat when you do that?

Is her vent pulsating and is there a discharge from the vent?

Here is my article on crop disorders so you can try to diagnose which one she has and treat it accordingly. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She doesn’t squat when I push on her vent and it looks normal to me.

I’ve been in contact with a vet and she has prescribed Nystatin to help treat the sour crop. However she said sour crop can be symptomatic of other illnesses like tumours in the digestive or reproductive tract, which is not uncommon for her breed and age.

Back
Top Bottom