Lethargic silkie, not eating, not moving

Alilinn

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2023
I posted the other day about my 4 month old silkie..
“My 4 month old silkie hen is puffed up, sitting in one spot for two days now, not eating or drinking and has watery poop.
She hasn’t started laying yet, and when I put water up to her beak she’ll take drinks.
Her balance seems okay but I haven’t seen her walk much, She just stands.
I offered her scrambled egg and cottage cheese as well as her normal feed and she hasn’t eaten.
There’s no blood in her poop.
I checked her all over for injury, her feet look great, and crop feels empty.
My other 22 chickens are completely fine.”
***update, she’s still alive but about the same. She did eat, but has gone back to not. She’s regularly pooping so she must be sneaking food and water when I’m not watching. I’m adding some photos of her poop from today which is weird. Why is it blue? I gave them kale the day before and I’m wondering if she ate too much?
Any advice helps. Of course this is my daughters favorite chicken And we need her to make it!

Attachments

• IMG_4851.jpeg
    IMG_4851.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4852.jpeg
    IMG_4852.jpeg
    533.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4855.jpeg
    IMG_4855.jpeg
    561.5 KB · Views: 18
Kale is good for them. We grow it and feed ours that too. Are the other ones acting odd at all and are they silkies too? They can easily suffer from vitamin deficiencies. We give ours extra vitamins like Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell in their water and rooster booster granules in their feed. You could try making a mash from some crumbles, even starter crumbles. Mine can't resist that.

She probably won't lay for another 3-4 months. Silkies don't lay until they are at least 6 months old, but more like 7-8 months.

If nothing works and this continues, you could give Corid to be on the safe side, but make sure to give vitamins or vitamin water for a week or two after that to compensate. I attached the chart many use.

She's beautiful! Good luck!

Attachments

• Corid dosage chart.jpg
    Corid dosage chart.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 16
Kale is good for them. We grow it and feed ours that too. Are the other ones acting odd at all and are they silkies too? They can easily suffer from vitamin deficiencies. We give ours extra vitamins like Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell in their water and rooster booster granules in their feed. You could try making a mash from some crumbles, even starter crumbles. Mine can't resist that.

She probably won't lay for another 3-4 months. Silkies don't lay until they are at least 6 months old, but more like 7-8 months.

If nothing works and this continues, you could give Corid to be on the safe side, but make sure to give vitamins or vitamin water for a week or two after that to compensate. I attached the chart many use.

She's beautiful! Good luck!
Thank you for this information! It is very helpful.
Not all my chickens are silkies but I do have a handful of them and they are all fine!
She’s the only one acting like this.
Is corid for worms? I’ve been monitoring her poop for 3 days now and haven’t noticed any.

Corid is for coccidiosis, not worms. The droppings have a little blood in some, which could be from coccidiosis. Dosage of Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon (or 1/2 tsp per quart) of water for 5 days. The dark green is probably from not eating enough, or a lot of greens. Are the urates in her poop pretty yellow or just creamy colored?

Corid is for coccidiosis, not worms. The droppings have a little blood in some, which could be from coccidiosis. Dosage of Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon (or 1/2 tsp per quart) of water for 5 days. The dark green is probably from not eating enough, or a lot of greens. Are the urates in her poop pretty yellow or just creamy colored?
If she doesn’t have it and I treat her will the corid hurt her?

Back
Top Bottom