Lethargic wheezing hen

Maryjjent

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2024
Hello again! So this is Florp. She’s about 2 years old. Buff Orpington. This morning we found her laying like a pancake on the floor of the coop. She looked dead. Still breathing though. We brought her inside, gave scrambled eggs and vitamins in her water. Not drinking or eating. I syringes the water in her mouth to make sure she gets something. Watery greenish poop. Any ideas? She has a raspy breathing sound. Can’t figure out how to add a video for the sound.

Attachments

• 18BB2D87-E8FE-47CE-9111-DECE2FAC6BEC.jpeg
    18BB2D87-E8FE-47CE-9111-DECE2FAC6BEC.jpeg
    650.9 KB · Views: 32
How does her crop feel—flat and empty, full, firm, doughy, or puffy? Her tail is down, so she isn’t feeling well. Has she been laying eggs? She could be dealing with a reproductive disorder, egg bound, or hurt. Do you have a rooster? Can you insert a clean finger into her vent to check for an egg? What do her poops look like? Check her skin under the vent and elsewhere for lice and mites. What do you feed her? Has she been wormed recently?

How does her crop feel—flat and empty, full, firm, doughy, or puffy? Her tail is down, so she isn’t feeling well. Has she been laying eggs? She could be dealing with a reproductive disorder, egg bound, or hurt. Do you have a rooster? Can you insert a clean finger into her vent to check for an egg? What do her poops look like? Check her skin under the vent and elsewhere for lice and mites. What do you feed her? Has she been wormed recently?
So I checked her crop first. Doesn’t feel abnormal at all. I did massage just Incase. She has been laying so good thinking checking her egg area. I’ll do that first thing in the morning. Poops are watery greenish yellow. I haven’t seen any mites but another chickens did have lice at one point. Could that cause this? She hasn’t been wormed recently. What should I buy to worm her?

The best time to check crop function is early morning when the crop should feel empty and flat. If it is not, then describe it. Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and repeated in 10 days is a good wormer. Or you can use 1/4 ml per pound of SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer given orally for 5 days is also good. Check her for lice under her vent. If one had them, then she probably has some. Lice are bothersome and itchy. Is she eating?

The best time to check crop function is early morning when the crop should feel empty and flat. If it is not, then describe it. Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and repeated in 10 days is a good wormer. Or you can use 1/4 ml per pound of SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer given orally for 5 days is also good. Check her for lice under her vent. If one had them, then she probably has some. Lice are bothersome and itchy. Is she eating?
Okay! I’ll check first thing this morning. And I’ll give her wormer just Incase. What should I do if she has lice/ mites? And no, not really. I tried to give scrambled eggs but didn’t want any. She was eating okay yesterday.

Permethrin garden dust from feed stores is good to use to dust the chickens with lice. It can be placed in a sock or hose and the chicken should be dusted. Then in 10 days, dust again. The bedding needs to be emptied far away, and the coop, nests, and roosts need to be treated as well. Permethrin 10 concentrate can be mixed with water 5 ml per quart and sprayed in the coop and on roosts. It will last about 30 days. Then add new bedding when dry and allow chickens back inside.

Permethrin garden dust from feed stores is good to use to dust the chickens with lice. It can be placed in a sock or hose and the chicken should be dusted. Then in 10 days, dust again. The bedding needs to be emptied far away, and the coop, nests, and roosts need to be treated as well. Permethrin 10 concentrate can be mixed with water 5 ml per quart and sprayed in the coop and on roosts. It will last about 30 days. Then add new bedding when dry and allow chickens back inside.
Thank you! I’ve been told it could also be a respiratory infection. Any idea how to get antibiotics?

Is she thin or feel light? Does she have any other respiratory symptoms such as coughing, sneezing or nasal or eye discharge?

Does she have any respiratory signs, such as gasping, sneezing, watery/bubbly eye, nasal drainage, or wheezing? Antibiotics will no help every respiratory disease, only bacterial ones, but won’t treat viruses. Amoxicillin or enrofloxacin might help if she has a reproductive infection or intestinal infection. You might be able to order the enrofloxacin online, but amoxicillin is difficult to find due to shortages. Is she doing any better today? Here is where to buy enrofloxacin 10% liquid, and dosage is 0.25 ml given orally twice a day for 5 days.
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Back with sad update. During the night, Florp stopped breathing. I ordered everything everyone suggest but wasn’t fast enough to save her. Now I’m worried I need to treat the rest f my flock proactively. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom