Like Mother, Like Daughter

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I have complained elsewhere about my pullet, Charcoal, who keeps flying out of the pen -- even after getting not just one but both wings clipped.

Unlike my former California White, this Australorp is NOT smart enough to fly back in and ends up going to roost in a cardboard box at the back of the coop if I don't happen to see her out just before dark, catch her, and toss her in.

I'm about 90% sure that a certain 13-week-old is her daughter -- Charcoal and this youngster both being Gypsy-faced.

The past several days I've found the little one out too.

Ember, named today, was found hunkered down next to the coop door on the outside when I went to close up. Silly thing, following her mother out and likewise unable to figure out how to get back in.

Like mother, like daughter -- and not necessarily in a good way.

*sigh*

I agree! Sometimes chickens do things without knowing how to fix it. Like that one time our Black Sex Link hen flew over the fence and couldn't get back. Ended up spending the night there worrying if she was caught by a raccoon. Discovered her alive when she was clucking extremely loud from next door, and rushed over with a apology to get her back!

I agree! Sometimes chickens do things without knowing how to fix it. Like that one time our Black Sex Link hen flew over the fence and couldn't get back. Ended up spending the night there worrying if she was caught by a raccoon. Discovered her alive when she was clucking extremely loud from next door, and rushed over with a apology to get her back!

You'd think that after one night spent out Charcoal would have been more content to stay inside the pen.

But she's not as smart as Chasseur, one of the FCMs, who did learn her lesson after one night outside when she was a POL.

Back
Top Bottom