Limp due to cancer?

Apr 29, 2019
My almost 4 yo RIR started limping around 1/9. She keeps her foot hovered just above the ground. I feared it was bumble foot but didn't see the marking. I gave her some time hoping the issue would resolve on its own (appetite and behavior were otherwise normal). After about 2.5 weeks I decided to take her in because I felt terribly for her. The vet confirmed it was not bumble foot. She did an X-ray and saw a mass in her abdomen that was pushing her intestines and gall bladder to the side. The vet said it's likely cancer, but could be an infection, and that it was pushing on her sciatica which is why she isn't putting her foot down.

I am very curious if anyone else has experienced this and how things progressed for you.

Also, started giving her meloxicam and clavacillin for the last 5 days and will continue for 9 more. No changes thus far. She is in a dog crate in our heated garage.

A tumor could push on the organs and the sciatic nerve. I think in chickens, egg masses from internally laid eggs (salpingitis) or infection could also do that. Cancer is common in chickens. I hope that the antibiotic and meloxicam help some. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? Let us know how she gets along.

A tumor could push on the organs and the sciatic nerve. I think in chickens, egg masses from internally laid eggs (salpingitis) or infection could also do that. Cancer is common in chickens. I hope that the antibiotic and meloxicam help some. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? Let us know how she gets along.
Thank you for the reply. My assumption is that it's cancer and I'm wondering how long it takes to progress. Vet said 1-3 months from her experience. Ofc we will do the full round of meds and hope for improvement. But if things don't improve, I wonder when it's time for euthanasia. I'm trying to find that balance of prolonging her life and quality of life, as I can't imagine her being happy stuck in the crate, unbalanced and toppling over. She face planted in her food the other day :(

And we have not introduced any new birds.

Back
Top Bottom