limping hen

DEBRA56

Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2012
Puyallup, WA
One of my older hens is limping badly for 2 days now. I know she is in pain. What can I give her for her pain. I will inspect it again today. Thanks in advance

Is she holding her foot up or is she putting some weight on the leg? Is she using her wings to balance? How old is she? If you can get meloxicam from a vet prescription, that works well for pain and inflammation. If not, I might consider aspirin 81 mg low dose given once or twice a day orally for up to 3 days. Can you separate her in a wire dog crate with bedding, food and water, to limit her activity and prevent jumping? I would leave her in that as near the flock as possible, and evaluate her every few days.

Is she holding her foot up or is she putting some weight on the leg? Is she using her wings to balance? How old is she? If you can get meloxicam from a vet prescription, that works well for pain and inflammation. If not, I might consider aspirin 81 mg low dose given once or twice a day orally for up to 3 days. Can you separate her in a wire dog crate with bedding, food and water, to limit her activity and prevent jumping? I would leave her in that as near the flock as possible, and evaluate her every few days.
She can barely use it but does gimp around. The four younger ones, 2 now, chase & pick on Lady Red who is now 7. She has two other hen mates same age. I did give her a baby aspirin this a.m. at 10:00. She is in a separate area away from others, especially the ones that pick on her 😡 I hand feed her scratch & berries, her regular food & water is in there with her. Thank you

I would hand feed some moistened chicken feed and a bit of egg. Human super B complex vitamin tablets 1/4 -1/2 tablet daily cannbe crushed into some food or in a spoonful of water and given. They are good for leg problems. Let us know how she is getting along.

Back
Top Bottom