Little Babies with Fun Genetics!

GuineaPig24

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2023
I recently hatched 3 chickens! They are so so cute, but I was surprised by how two of them look! The black silkie, named Susuwatari, was from hatching eggs ordered online. The naked neck, Mr. Crocker, is a very beautiful cross between a large-combed green egg layer and a showgirl silkie roo mix. And finally, the big hunk of junk, Steve, is a shocking mix between a black easter egger and a white silkie roo mix. They all seem to be feathering in SUPER fast, and all even have little tail nubbins growing in! Susu was hatched 1/3, and Mr. Crocker and Steve both on 1/6. I’m excited to see whether they are male or female as they grow up!

I’m curious to see if any one else has had an interesting experience with chicken genetics, as these are all pretty unexpected results. I didn’t even consider the possibility of them being naked necked lol! Mr. Crocker also only has 4 toes, despite his father having silkie feet with 5 toes. Makes me wonder what kind of 4-toed chicken was in his dad’s lineage!

Susuwatari:
IMG_1138.jpeg IMG_1140.jpeg IMG_1142.jpeg

Mr. Crocker:
IMG_1143.jpeg IMG_1144.jpeg
IMG_1145.jpeg

Steve:
IMG_1148.jpeg IMG_1146.jpeg IMG_1149.jpeg

The gang <3
IMG_1151.jpeg

I recently hatched 3 chickens! They are so so cute, but I was surprised by how two of them look! The black silkie, named Susuwatari, was from hatching eggs ordered online. The naked neck, Mr. Crocker, is a very beautiful cross between a large-combed green egg layer and a showgirl silkie roo mix. And finally, the big hunk of junk, Steve, is a shocking mix between a black easter egger and a white silkie roo mix. They all seem to be feathering in SUPER fast, and all even have little tail nubbins growing in! Susu was hatched 1/3, and Mr. Crocker and Steve both on 1/6. I’m excited to see whether they are male or female as they grow up!

I’m curious to see if any one else has had an interesting experience with chicken genetics, as these are all pretty unexpected results. I didn’t even consider the possibility of them being naked necked lol! Mr. Crocker also only has 4 toes, despite his father having silkie feet with 5 toes. Makes me wonder what kind of 4-toed chicken was in his dad’s lineage!

Susuwatari:
View attachment 3724187View attachment 3724188View attachment 3724189

Mr. Crocker:
View attachment 3724190View attachment 3724191
View attachment 3724192

Steve:
View attachment 3724193View attachment 3724194View attachment 3724195

The gang <3
View attachment 3724196

welcome in fam jam of BYC
baby chicks are utter joys
i am due to add some in summers it’s too cold to add them in peak winters