looking for recipe

farmertank

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2007
Linden TN
I saw on another post(I can't remember which one) some one mentioned home made eggnog. Does anyone have a recipe for this. I would also like a recipe for egg custard

Thanks ahead of time
Julie

Well, my grandmother always used the Joy of Cooking recipe from the 1963 edition. I have to cut down the amount of alcohol though, it's too much for me.

12 egg whites
about 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

Beat the whites and cream of tartar together till stiff. Set aside. Then using same beaters:

12 egg yolks
1 c. dark rum
1 lb. confectioner's sugar (I don't use the whole box, believe me it will be plenty sweet if you use 1/2 to 3/4 of a box)

Beat yolks till light, then beat in sugar, then gradually beat in rum.

Clean off the beaters, then beat together

1 cup bourbon or Jameson's
2 quarts cream (original recipe calls for all heavy cream, I use half light and half heavy)

Gently mix together the egg whites, the yolk/rum mixture, and the cream mixture in a serving bowl. Wash the beaters again and make some real whipped cream with vanilla. I don't put any sugar in the real whipped cream because the eggnog itself is so sweet. Sprinkle cinnamon + nutmeg on the bowl of nog, then serve in cups with a dollop of whipped cream.

This is a lot of alcohol, regardless. Even DH can't stand more than a few cups of this over the course of the holiday.

Individual egg custards:

Per serving:
1 egg
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 c. half-and-half
Flavoring of choice: vanilla, cinnamon, any kind of flavored extract you like. I like to heat up the half-and-half with lemon verbena teabags or else chai spice teabags, but DH prefers the half-and-half made like hot chocolate/cocoa. If you do this, heat the half-and-half on low heat on the stovetop for about 10 min until barely scalded, then remove it from the heat and let the teabags soak in until cooled to lukewarm. Remove teabags before using the half-and-half in the recipe, obviously.

With a wire whisk, mix the eggs and sugar and half-and-half till the sugar dissolves. Pour into individual oven-resistant bowls, then set the bowls in a roasting pan with 1" of water in. I use boring old jelly jars for this recipe--used to have the recipe for one big custard that was supposed to be made in a fancy bowl, but either I never have that bowl clean or else I don't have eight jelly jars clean all at once.

Thank you very much Rosalind. My DH is a huge eggnog fan even when there is no holiday. I have been wanting to try and make it homemade. The egg custard is something my Grandmother use to make and I haven't had it in years. Now I have so many extra eggs I want to try these things.

Thanks again
smile.png

Julie
jumpy.gif

Here is a non-alcoholic version.

Egg Nog

12 eggs- separated
1 C. sugar

Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick. Chill.
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.

To egg yolk mixture add:
3 C. milk
3 C. heavy cream or Half & Half
1 1/4 tsp nutmeg

Fold in egg whites. Chill.

Makes about a gallon.

farmertank,

You can slowly add 1 1/2 to 2 cups brandy or rum to the Egg Yolk and Sugar mixture before chilling.

I like to serve both alcoholic and non-alcoholic versions, so people have an option.

the recipe i used was pretty much that one (i also have a nog-obsessed husband) but i used captain morgans spiced rum. it cuts the richness with its own spicy goodness, and who couldnt use a little captain????? i also use freshly ground nutmeg for the top. yummers!

Back
Top Bottom