Lumpy abdomen

Bettysmom

In the Brooder
May 1, 2021
Hi there! I have a hen who is probably around 7 or 8 years old. She had started acting lethargic, eating and drinking some but has lost weight. She has diarrhea. I was checking her out and can feel multiple "big grape" size lumps in her lower abdomen below her vent. The area doesn't seem to be swollen with liquid. Any ideas what this could be?

She might have lash material from salpingitis or cancer, which are common in older hens, hard to know. She is advanced in age, and I would just make sure that she is comfortable and getting plenty to eat. At some point if she seems uncomfortable or cannot get around, I would consider putting her down. Then, you could either do a home necropsy to look at her abdominal organs, or have your state vet lab perform a necropsy.

She might have lash material from salpingitis or cancer, which are common in older hens, hard to know. She is advanced in age, and I would just make sure that she is comfortable and getting plenty to eat. At some point if she seems uncomfortable or cannot get around, I would consider putting her down. Then, you could either do a home necropsy to look at her abdominal organs, or have your state vet lab perform a necropsy.
Thanks, that's what I was suspecting as well. We are in that blurry area of "getting enough food" and "getting around ok".. Im having a hard time deciding when to put her down. She isn't moving much, but can move. Not foraging, mostly laying in the sun (not really sun bathing tho). She will eat, but definitely not enough. Would you agree sooner is better? Both of those options obviously won't get better.

Usually, they will let you know when it is time. When they hang around with the other chickens and are eating, I usually let them be.

Back
Top Bottom