Male cortunix crowing

ozzie

Crowing
16 Years
Nov 12, 2007
Australia (New South Wales)
Does the frequency of crowing for males diminish as they grow older? So if one male seems to crow quite regularly, will he ”settle” down and crow less? Or is it once noisy, always noisy? He is 1 of 4 quail that ai hatched. One is a definite hen (spots on her chest). One just recently started crowing (he has a rust coloured chest). The other 2 can’t be feather sexed. Neither of these 2 have crowed yet and I am waiting for another few weeks before trying to vent sex them (they are currently 5weeks old). They are in with 3 older hens who are laying right now. I am not sure why the new male is crowing if he is the only male in the group. My last roo was quiet and didn’t crow much at all. He was also very nice to his hens (no feather pulling or scalping).

They often quiet down as they get older, but there is no guarantee. As a general rule, happy roos don't crow much, but each bird has their own personality.

You might give him less light to reduce the crowing.

@Nabiki thanks for your reply. This morning when I went out to the aviary this particular rooster started to attack me - flying at my hands and pecking me as I moved around. I have never had quail so territorial and aggressive before . So far he hasn’t attacked the others. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now and assume that he’s protecting his harem and territory just like a chicken rooster would.

@Nabiki thanks for your reply. This morning when I went out to the aviary this particular rooster started to attack me - flying at my hands and pecking me as I moved around. I have never had quail so territorial and aggressive before . So far he hasn’t attacked the others. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now and assume that he’s protecting his harem and territory just like a chicken rooster would.
He sounds like he may be asking for an invitation to dinner...

Back
Top Bottom