Mallard Hen Missing

Virgo_Mallard

Hatching
May 7, 2023
I have a drake and hen mallard that have been living in a predator proof large outdoor pen for 3 years. Today my hen escaped when I was taking her latest egg. I searched for 12 hours on my property which is on a salt marsh. We almost caught her a few times but now it is night and she has never been outside her pen. There are no other mallards in the area but there are owls, hawks, herons, foxes, raccoons, and a myriad of song birds. Also snakes but not large enough to get her. A snake found its way into their pen twice hence me getting those eggs asap. Do y'all think she went out in the thicket to start a new nest?? She can fly and that is how she evaded me.

She just took off because she could. Hopefully, since she lived there for 3 yrs with her mate she'll come back. You might be able to lure her back in with feed or a treat but I'd lock up the drake so he doesn't escape. But place him where she can hear and see him
A dog crate would work.

She just took off because she could. Hopefully, since she lived there for 3 yrs with her mate she'll come back. You might be able to lure her back in with feed or a treat but I'd lock up the drake so he doesn't escape. But place him where she can hear and see him
A dog crate would work.
Thank you. He has been very vocal, and we heard her last night at dusk, so I know she is alive and most likely nesting. He is locked up, but now is not eating as much, just meal worms. When I put him in the pool he gets out immediately. I'm gonna put some worms in there tomorrow so he can be like a little Pac man.

Poor boy you know he misses her so much. I hope she and the little ducklings make it and hopefully, she'll bring them home.

That's cute he can be like little Pac man.

Back
Top Bottom