Mama raised chicks- how to integrate with flock?

eme4

Hatching
May 2, 2023
Hello! I have been raising backyard chickens for a few years, but this is our first time integrating mama raised babies to the existing flock.

We've sectioned off a small part of the coop where two silkie mamas are raising three baby chicks (the new chicks will be full sized). They are just starting to get tail feathers, so I'm thinking 2-3 weeks old. We have had them for 1.5 weeks.

The mamas seem eager to bring the babies to walk around the predator proof run (they charge the door when I'm cleaning up their area), where the four other silkie hens are hanging out. I've let the mamas and babies out for a few minutes while I'm cleaning and the mamas do a great job of fending off the other hens and showing the chicks around. I've only done this for a few supervised minutes before getting too nervous and moving them back into the coop.

At what age should I allow regular access to the run? And how do you manage the starter feed/layer feed issue? We have an open feeder of layer feed in the run, and the chicks and mamas have been getting starter feed in their nursery area inside the coop.

Once I let the babies out into the run, I'm not sure how to stop them from eating the general food. Would I switch the whole flock to starter/grower and then just supplement with calcium only for the laying hens?

Thank you for your help! Here's a picture of the mamas and babies trying to get into the run. :)
20230501_122641.jpg

Last edited:
You don't have to keep them separate. Lots of people (myself included) let their broodies raise the chicks with the flock (no separation) and the broodies do the integration work. Unless you have really mean/aggressive chickens in your flock and/or have reason to believe the moms won't do a good job protecting the babies, there's no reason to keep them separate anymore (or at all). Let them mingle. Sounds like yours are doing fine.

You can put the whole flock on chick starter/grower and provide calcium on the side for the layers (crushed eggshell or oyster shell). Or get an all flock type of feed for everybody, with oyster on the side. Just make sure it's 20% protein. I have chicks with a broody in the flock right now and I switched the whole flock to medicated chick starter for the first few weeks, then I'll switch everybody to Purina's flock raiser (20% protein, no calcium added) and they always have an unlimited supply of eggshells for calcium.

You don't have to keep them separate. Lots of people (myself included) let their broodies raise the chicks with the flock (no separation) and the broodies do the integration work. Unless you have really mean/aggressive chickens in your flock and/or have reason to believe the moms won't do a good job protecting the babies, there's no reason to keep them separate anymore (or at all). Let them mingle. Sounds like yours are doing fine.

You can put the whole flock on chick starter/grower and provide calcium on the side for the layers (crushed eggshell or oyster shell). Or get an all flock type of feed for everybody, with oyster on the side. Just make sure it's 20% protein. I have chicks with a broody in the flock right now and I switched the whole flock to medicated chick starter for the first few weeks, then I'll switch everybody to Purina's flock raiser (20% protein, no calcium added) and they always have an unlimited supply of eggshells for calcium.
This is so good to know!! Thank you. I'll go ahead and switch out the layer food and let the mamas roam with the babies. I now understand where the term, "cooped up" comes from. They seem so anxious to get out. :) Thank you for your help!!

This is so good to know!! Thank you. I'll go ahead and switch out the layer food and let the mamas roam with the babies. I now understand where the term, "cooped up" comes from. They seem so anxious to get out. :) Thank you for your help!!
You're welcome! Mine are about the same age as yours and the mom is going nuts trying to lure them outside, as she's so done being cooped up, but they'll have none of it (the big big world is so scary!) So she stays outside until they get cold and start screaming, then she runs in and warms them up, then goes back outside, calling for them to come out the whole time while they stay in the doorway and nope at her :lol:

You're welcome! Mine are about the same age as yours and the mom is going nuts trying to lure them outside, as she's so done being cooped up, but they'll have none of it (the big big world is so scary!) So she stays outside until they get cold and start screaming, then she runs in and warms them up, then goes back outside, calling for them to come out the whole time while they stay in the doorway and nope at her :lol:
That's so funny!!! Such sweet babies. It's amazing how responsive the mommas are.

My crew is going to be so much happier after I implement your advice. Thanks again. :)

X2 - mama knows what she is doing.

Back
Top Bottom