Mamma Duck aggressive to last born duckling

clkcdavis

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
I had six babies hatch on day 28 and 29. The mom left the last egg to be with her babies. After candling the egg, it was still viable so I put it in an incubator. Finally on day 31, I heard internal pipping. On day 32 the egg was still viable but no star was visible on the egg. I became worried so I opened the egg up some. The baby was stuck, so I began to slowly help it. After half the shell was gone, I could see that the umbilical cord was attached! None of this made sense, since the baby was 4 days overdue. I left it in the egg overnight and the next day it was out of the egg and looking good.

Last night, I put it with the others in the outside enclosure. The mom sniffed it and seemed to welcome it into the group. It is so much smaller than the others. This afternoon, I gave them a small pool for them to play in with an inch of water. The mother duck started grabbing the little one by it's neck and putting it under the water or she would just bite it.

Is this little one in danger? Do I need to take it and another duckling and put them in a brooder until he gets bigger? Any answers would be appreciated.

I sure wouldn't leave it with the mama. Take that one and another and brood them you can try at other times to get mama to accept them but doesn't sound like she is interested now. Usually, the first few days after they have hatched is when they are more receptive to accepting ducklings.

:welcome

I sure wouldn't leave it with the mama. Take that one and another and brood them you can try at other times to get mama to accept them but doesn't sound like she is interested now. Usually, the first few days after they have hatched is when they are more receptive to accepting ducklings.

:welcome
I went back out before dark and she was aggressive toward it again. I did take it and another duckling to brood in our garage.

Back
Top Bottom