Mandarin ducks first time having eggs

PoultryNoob37

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2022
Hello

I have a few questions regarding Mandarin ducks.
I got a Mandarin duck pair in July (they were about 2 months at the time I bought them) and I was wondering if it is possible that I could have eggs in 2023?
Which incubator should I get and for the nesting box my ducks cannot fly so should I still make the hole of the nesting boxes high or not?

This is my first time having/possibly breeding Mandarin ducks so I am very excited :celebrate.

Hello

I have a few questions regarding Mandarin ducks.
I got a Mandarin duck pair in July (they were about 2 months at the time I bought them) and I was wondering if it is possible that I could have eggs in 2023?
Which incubator should I get and for the nesting box my ducks cannot fly so should I still make the hole of the nesting boxes high or not?

This is my first time having/possibly breeding Mandarin ducks so I am very excited :celebrate.
Welcome to BYC! Yes, Mandarin ducks breed their first year.
Get a couple of regular wood duck nest boxes, and make ramps with steps on them going up to the holes. Then put down a deep layer of fine wood chip shavings in the boxes.
If your hen will sit, your best bet would be leaving the eggs with her. They do way better under a duck hen than in an incubator. Then once they internally pip I pull them and let them hatch in a brinsea.

Welcome to BYC! Yes, Mandarin ducks breed their first year.
Get a couple of regular wood duck nest boxes, and make ramps with steps on them going up to the holes. Then put down a deep layer of fine wood chip shavings in the boxes.
If your hen will sit, your best bet would be leaving the eggs with her. They do way better under a duck hen than in an incubator. Then once they internally pip I pull them and let them hatch in a brinsea.
Thanks for the information!

Thanks for the information!
No problem, good luck with your birds!
Make sure they're on a good diet for breeding too. I usually put mine on Mazuri breeder a month before breeding season, and offer mealworms as a treat.

Back
Top Bottom