Manna Pro Family Farm Chick Starter

kenp719

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2020
You all have been most helpful with my newbie chicken mom questions! Here's another one: The chicks are doing great, they all are gaining about 4g a day on my 5lb bag of the Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter (yellow bag)...but on this 4th day, we are almost out. We do like this particular starter, so I went Walmart.com and looked for a larger bag. Walmart.com has this (50lbs), is it the same thing? What is the difference?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Manna-Pr...OEIQ1ngcXchao5w7qFSXkPhin8UtG4NoaAr2dEALw_wcB

It should be exactly the same. Verify by reading the guaranteed analysis tag on the bag.

The difference is that the price per pound in a 50# bag will be dramatically less than a 5# bag. On the downside, shipping a 50# bag is pricey unless they will ship free to a local store.
Do you have any local feed stores other than Walmarrt?
I'm wary of buying feed from stores that don't specialize in animal feed. The hardware store by my house has a small section for poultry. I was about to buy a bag of feed there, then checked the mill date and it was 1 1/2 years old.
They probably haven't sold any since they initially stocked the shelf.

I feel for the unenlightened shoppers' chickens.

Last edited:
The question is, do you need 50 pounds? You're feeding 9 chicks for another 5 or 6 weeks? You're going to have a lot of that left over.

I'd call some local feed stores and see who will give you a good price on 5 pound bags or who has a 20 or 25 pound bag.

While you're at it see who has oyster shell and grit in larger bags. I found I was paying FAR more than I needed to on 5 pound bags of those things I needed constantly and for which freshness isn't an issue. Those I do buy in 50 pound bags!

Last edited:
It should be exactly the same. Verify by reading the guaranteed analysis tag on the bag.

The difference is that the price per pound in a 50# bag will be dramatically less than a 5# bag. On the downside, shipping a 50# bag is pricey unless they will ship free to a local store.
Do you have any local feed stores other than Walmarrt?
I'm wary of buying feed from stores that don't specialize in animal feed. The hardware store by my house has a small section for poultry. I was about to buy a bag of feed there, then checked the mill date and it was 1 1/2 years old.
They probably haven't sold any since they initially stocked the shelf.
Yeah, I'm not a Walmart fan TBH. We have two local feed stores in town so I will be sure to check them out this week,

:thumbsup
You'll be better off with most feed stores but they aren't all good. The closest to my house will keep feed till it sells so it is always important to check the mill date. Vitamins will be lost in the feed if stored too long. I usually have to drive to Illinois to get fresh feed. It adds an hour to my feed run.
I won't spend a dime or step foot in a Walmart store.

:thumbsup
You'll be better off with most feed stores but they aren't all good. The closest to my house will keep feed till it sells so it is always important to check the mill date. Vitamins will be lost in the feed if stored too long. I usually have to drive to Illinois to get fresh feed. It adds an hour to my feed run.
I won't spend a dime or step foot in a Walmart store.
I had my child grab some feed from Big R today, (afterTelling them to look at the mill date) we got home and looked at the date and the date was from last MAY!

Back
Top Bottom