Metzer Farms Review(s)

Pics
Well, seems sad and heartbreaking for the duckling left behind. If you just want two you could look at the local feed stores or Tractor supply now for an additional healthy duckling so it doesn't have to rely on a fake friend.
Ours makes you buy 3 and I surely don't have room for 3 more. Rural king makes you buy 2 and I don't want 3 in the house at the same, two is my limit for the mess and smell since they will be in here for 6 weeks. The brooder is open all the way at one end and they still stay near the heated end. It has a 75 watt red light for heat so I don't think she is too hot.

Just a thought, since I had considered getting two ducklings from Metzer myself this spring, and also considering what I would do in case of unfortunate circumstances that one didn't make it - I planned to just talk to the feed store and explain my circumstances of having an only duckling. They will surely make an exception and give you one. The only reason they have that policy for 3 at a time is so what you're going through does not happen and a duckling doesn't have to be raised alone. Just talk to them and tell them you really can just take on one but you don't want your baby to be raised alone. I can't imagine they wouldn't help you out.

Just a thought, since I had considered getting two ducklings from Metzer myself this spring, and also considering what I would do in case of unfortunate circumstances that one didn't make it - I planned to just talk to the feed store and explain my circumstances of having an only duckling. They will surely make an exception and give you one. The only reason they have that policy for 3 at a time is so what you're going through does not happen and a duckling doesn't have to be raised alone. Just talk to them and tell them you really can just take on one but you don't want your baby to be raised alone. I can't imagine they wouldn't help you out.
The only problem with getting another duckling is that it will be a full sized duck and grow very fast. These little guys grow very slow and I would be afraid that bigger one would hurt my one that is fine. I had thought of that and someone in the next town is hatching out some Call Ducks but her last hatch turned out to be a disaster so I don't know if she will have success this time or not. They were shipped eggs and she had never even hatched ducklings out before. Out of 19 eggs she ended up with three ducklings last hatch. I still have her number. My other duck that I raised alone did great when introduced to the flock when it was full grown. I will just have to wait and see how things go but thanks for the thought. Size difference worries me greatly in a brooder situation. Out in a huge pen it's easier to have them altogether but inside a house in a brooder is totally different.

What is the temp in the brooder I’ve read too warm can cause pasty butt.
I am not exactly sure what the temp is but they have lots of room to get away from the heat and instead they are staying right by it. When I put my hand in there it is not real hot at all, just nice and warm and they seem quite content with the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom