I have birds in various stages mixed in 3 different pens. I was mixing half and half grower feed and layer feed to ensure layers got some extra protein (with their necessary laying vitamins/minerals) and chicks enough protein and other nutrients to grow. I can switch to only chick feed for this guy, but the others will probably need to stick to the 50/50 mix…
The only extra thing in layer feed in extra calcium, you can feed grower and get oyster shell to throw out for your layers. They'll pick out what they need. Layer feed has ho hum nutrition.

The only extra thing in layer feed in extra calcium, you can feed grower and get oyster shell to throw out for your layers. They'll pick out what they need. Layer feed has ho hum nutrition.
Thanks for the feedback. I offer free choice oyster shell 24/7, so maybe I’ll switch everyone to chick grower feed.

He had no poops until we forced water with a syringe. That opened the flood gates. Poops look good now.

I have birds in various stages mixed in 3 different pens. I was mixing half and half grower feed and layer feed to ensure layers got some extra protein (with their necessary laying vitamins/minerals) and chicks enough protein and other nutrients to grow. I can switch to only chick feed for this guy, but the others will probably need to stick to the 50/50 mix…
Cute 'lil Guy!

Wonder if he is constipated. I'd work on hydration, if he's not drinking on his own, then tube or syringing fluids into him will help. Offer wet soupy feed.

I understand about having different ages within a flock, I do too.
I feed an All Flock feed which can be given to just hatched chicks all the way through life. I use anywhere from 18-22%protein feed. Oyster shell and grit (crushed granite) are provided free choice.

For the 'lil Guy, I would give him just the grower feed for now and omit the layer. While the excess calcium of layer feed may not be what's causing some of his symptoms, it's best not to give growing chicks too much calcium, Chick Starter, All Flock, Grower, etc. all still have some calcium, just not as much as Layer formulas.

Are all the lice/mites gone from him?

Cute 'lil Guy!

Wonder if he is constipated. I'd work on hydration, if he's not drinking on his own, then tube or syringing fluids into him will help. Offer wet soupy feed.

I understand about having different ages within a flock, I do too.
I feed an All Flock feed which can be given to just hatched chicks all the way through life. I use anywhere from 18-22%protein feed. Oyster shell and grit (crushed granite) are provided free choice.

For the 'lil Guy, I would give him just the grower feed for now and omit the layer. While the excess calcium of layer feed may not be what's causing some of his symptoms, it's best not to give growing chicks too much calcium, Chick Starter, All Flock, Grower, etc. all still have some calcium, just not as much as Layer formulas.

Are all the lice/mites gone from him?
Thanks! He wasn’t drinking the first 2 days of sickness, so he stopped pooping. We force watered him slowly with a syringe, 10 mL 2-3 times daily. That opened him right up. After 2 days he started drinking on his own, and well. We keep pushing the fluids, freshening twice daily.

I also do free choice grit with free choice oyster shell. That makes sense to stop the layer feed altogether. Thank you for the advice. I’m giving a dose of vitamin E and B complex tonight.

The lice and mites appear to be gone. For safety, we’re going to treat with with permethrin spray at 7 days to kill off any hatched larvae. I’ve heard a lot that it’s good to do a third treatment 7 days after the second to eradicate the last of the stranglers. I’m going to use elector PSP on all coops and roosts. Then fresh bedding on top.

Feed only the chick feed if you intend to keep males, layer feed isn't good for males and nonlaying birds, nut that's not your problem.
Give him one 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks, any brand from the grocery store.
How do you recommend I give the vitamin E and B complex? Today I mixed the doses you recommended in a 5 mL syringe with water.

Back
Top Bottom