Mites and lice prevention

BlueAndGreen

Chirping
Mar 25, 2023
Eastern North Carolina
As a new chicken owner I'm curious if there are any safe products to spray chicken run and surrounding areas for mites and lice prevention..or any other parasite. Is this something a lot of people do or is this something most people treat when an infestation occurs? Again I'm new to raising chickens and just want to do what's best for my birds. Thanks in advance.

I don’t treat my chicken yard because I have plants growing in there and a deep litter system that I don’t want to mess with but I do preventatively treat my whole coop twice a year. I personally use elector psp for this, the stuff lasts forever. It’s expensive for the bottle but it’s a concentrate that you add to water (there’s dosages for northern fowl mites, red mites, etc online). I spray all the walls, windows, floor, nesting boxes, roosts, and every crevice in the coop.
There’s not much you can do to the run/yard to prevent mites and lice since lice doesn’t live off of birds and mites live in the coop. Keeping wild birds away from your flock is a good preventative because they can transfer those parasites to your chickens. Make sure they have a nice, dry dust bathing area year round to keep themselves free of pests. I have a wood stove and put some wood ash in their spots as a lice preventative as well. Some people say no to wood ash, but I have never had an issue.

I don’t treat my chicken yard because I have plants growing in there and a deep litter system that I don’t want to mess with but I do preventatively treat my whole coop twice a year. I personally use elector psp for this, the stuff lasts forever. It’s expensive for the bottle but it’s a concentrate that you add to water (there’s dosages for northern fowl mites, red mites, etc online). I spray all the walls, windows, floor, nesting boxes, roosts, and every crevice in the coop.
There’s not much you can do to the run/yard to prevent mites and lice since lice doesn’t live off of birds and mites live in the coop. Keeping wild birds away from your flock is a good preventative because they can transfer those parasites to your chickens. Make sure they have a nice, dry dust bathing area year round to keep themselves free of pests. I have a wood stove and put some wood ash in their spots as a lice preventative as well. Some people say no to wood ash, but I have never had an issue.
I've read about elector psp, I'll probably get some and try it out and just make sure they have a good dust bathing area. Thank you for your input! I appreciate it 😊

Don't treat if you don't have any pests.
It is unnecessary, and to many pesticides are bad for everyones health.
Just make sure they have a good dust bath, and check them all over at least once a week.
Also check the coop, partially in any cracks. (where red roost mites live)
This is the best approach imo.

Just make sure they have a good dust bath, and check them all over at least once a week.
This. The best prevention is keeping wild birds and mice out of your coop and run. Using things as preventatives only aids in building resistance later.

Catching, and checking, my 7 week old chicks is still a no go. I am working on getting them used to being handled, but so far, they are still very skittish and can't even be picked up. Are there other ways to check for pests?

Also, I have sand in the coop and run. Will that alone provide a good dust bath?

Ditto Dat^^^

This. The best prevention is keeping wild birds and mice out of your coop and run. Using things as preventatives only aids in building resistance later.
Ditto Dis too^^^

Are there other ways to check for pests?
I do it at night well after dark, much easier to 'catch' them,
but I have a walk in coop with a separate area to sit down to examine bird.

My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Back
Top Bottom