Mix flock coming soon!

Hatching2024

Chirping
Feb 22, 2024
I placed my order for some new chicks and ducklings, expected to be shipped in about 2 weeks. I order all females, of the following breeds:
Ducks- rouen, pekin and cayuga.
Chicks: silked white easter egger, golden lace polish, bountiful blue layer white plymouth rock and rhode island red

Super excited! Funny side note, my folks will be visiting, and although I've talked about the chicks and ducks, I don't think they took me too seriously. It is going to be funny to see their reactions when I go to the post office and come back with live birds lol

I have 4 brooder boxes set up, that way I can just scoop the chickies and duckies into clean boxes, while i take the soiled boxes to be cleaned out and such. My fella and I will be building their coops as well, so we are definitely open to suggestions. Bedding material, nesting material, etc. Do's, don'ts, bright ideas, lame ideas to avoid, etc. As of right now I have purina flock raiser crumbles for their starter food- as recommended by a local feed store. I am certainly open to suggestions, for feed, treats, etc. I know the first few weeks are imperative to their health, so I am all ears to suggestions on all fronts. I definitely want to be sure to keep them on the protein appropriate diet as they develop, and introduce things to them (such as dust baths) at the appropriate timing and all that.

I am also open to any advice with regards to preventative and treatment advice for common aliments, as well as signs/symptoms. Ideas of remedies to keep on hand in the event of unexpected illness or injury. I did decide to get the Marek Vaccine for the chicks, although I was hesitant (since nothing is 100% safe and effective, not even peanut butter), I opted to go with it as I just do not know enough about the basic or alternative preventative measures/treatments. I can do more research on the subject to have a more informed approach in the future, but given I had to make a choice at the time of order, I opted in.

I will upload pictures when they get here for sure! thanks for any help!
Hope everyone is having a great day!

Congratulations on the chicks and ducks!!
For the ducks remember to add niacin even if they are on a duckling food.

The brooder idea is good.

Just make sure not to use cedar bedding.

For treats some scrambled egg or lettuce to start young. Make sure to add grit to any new treats you add.
Or mash which is just feed soaked in a small amount of water

I have always bought the happy hens nesting pads, but i am trying reusable now.

For the ducks a first swim at two weeks or a little under two weeks just make sure the water is warm.

For the chicks i usally put them in the outdoor coop at around 4 weeks and they learn to dust bath on their own.

Good luck

Congratulations on the chicks and ducks!!
For the ducks remember to add niacin even if they are on a duckling food.

The brooder idea is good.

Just make sure not to use cedar bedding.

For treats some scrambled egg or lettuce to start young. Make sure to add grit to any new treats you add.
Or mash which is just feed soaked in a small amount of water

I have always bought the happy hens nesting pads, but i am trying reusable now.

For the ducks a first swim at two weeks or a little under two weeks just make sure the water is warm.

For the chicks i usally put them in the outdoor coop at around 4 weeks and they learn to dust bath on their own.

Good luck
Thanks! For the brooder bedding: for the ducks I have layers with newpaper, and one of those porous rubber liners for kitchen drawers. I was considering hemp straw for the chicks. I am not 100% sure what I will do with the coops as far as bedding. I have been reading a few methods, including deep bedding and coffee ground bedding. Thankfully I have a few weeks to make a decision (plus there is always trial and error).

Thanks! For the brooder bedding: for the ducks I have layers with newpaper, and one of those porous rubber liners for kitchen drawers. I was considering hemp straw for the chicks. I am not 100% sure what I will do with the coops as far as bedding. I have been reading a few methods, including deep bedding and coffee ground bedding. Thankfully I have a few weeks to make a decision (plus there is always trial and error).
For the brooder i do puppy pads for the first week. Then put large pine shavings in.
For my coop i do deep litter with pine shavings.

Ive never used hemp i hope others can chime in

Back
Top Bottom