Moultrie Game Cam Pics - Raccoon!

bluey

thootp veteran
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Washington, PA
I guess I'm hunting again. I just killed one a few weeks ago with my .22, I had a feeling we had another predator lurking around. The IR camera confirmed my suspicions.

ChurkeyLoft008.jpg

ChurkeyLoft007.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have much experience with coons but this one seems much smaller than the one I killed a few weeks back.

Walmart.com has a selection of Moultrie Game cams. I got the infrared (IR) Moultrie 4MP for $199.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5933976

It takes impeccable daylight pictures and infrared (no visible flash) at night. Walmart prices are about $20 cheaper than Cabelas or other hunting outlet stores.

There are cheaper and more expensive models depending on what you want to spend. The camera is super easy to use and runs on 6 D batteries. It connects to a computer via a USB cable or a SD memory card. I usually shut the camera off during the day since my birds free range.

These pictures were captured on my first night of use!!!

Last edited:
Thank you for the game cam info. Putting one on my wish list!

Good luck dispatching that coon. May you get him before he gets your chickens

We make use of Moultrie gamecams, too. Alex bought his first one from Cabela's, but after that used Ebay to find wholesalers. Just FWIW, you don't have to mess with infrared if you don't want to (although those pics are pretty cool!), because the cameras we have flash when the motion-sensor gets tripped at night. You can get models for $100 or less that do a good job. Here are some of the various animals who have wandered across the lens of our Moultrie gamecams, with no infrared:

Red fox. We still haven't caught this guy.
2593481531_6b6cdbd055.jpg

2596142603_3b29d5e8a1.jpg

Deer.
2317329701_e349823792.jpg

We call this crew The Feral Cat/Opossum Alliance. They have left us alone so far, but we're not taking any chances.
2318141312_068399f765.jpg

TONS of raccoons. Using HavAHart traps, we have caught SCADS of these guys. We kind of have a history with them , and none of it is good.
2317334611_f36f65ed42.jpg

Most annoying, the neighbors' loose dogs. ARRRRGH.
2318146376_2c76a1e150.jpg

We've also captured deer-p0rn, which I think is hilarious, because the camera, when it's triggered, takes 3 frames in rapid succession, quick as a wink, in just a couple of seconds. In the photos just before and just after this one, the deer all all just standing there grazing.
2317337923_63faf3163a.jpg

Excellent pictures NP! I did see your fox picture on the other thread. Nice setup. I'm glad I don't have to deal with foxes although we've seen them on our land. I love these cameras!

The reason I went with the IR, is that I don't want to scare the buggers with a flash. I want them to keep returning unperterbed by a flash. Being a researcher my whole life, I'm trying to collect as much data as I can and track their habits and tendencies, so I don't have to sit out all night to hunt them. Maybe it's too lofty a goal, but I want to be as methodical as possible in eliminating the threat to our hens.

If I can get a better idea of when to expect them, it should make life a hell of a lot easier for us raccoon and varmint antagonists.
big_smile.png

By the way, can you set up the camera to play some bow-chicka-wow-wow music while the deer are frollicking?
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That is EXACTLY why we set them up at home in the first place! We wanted to know what we'd be dealing with. Those pics from back in March were a good three months before we had any chickens outside. The cameras are my husband's that he uses during deer and turkey season, to kind of track the patterns of the animals he'll be hunting.

In those March pics (which are actually all on the OTHER side of our perimeter fence), what he did was to "bait" a wooded area bordering our property, putting the camera on our fence, facing away. Then we just watched to see what would show up. The dogs and the fox were a surprise, as was the fact that the 'possum and cats seemed to run together.

I thought the same thing about the flash, but as you can tell from the pics, it doesn't seem to phase them in the least. I have NO explanation for that. The same is true for the pics Alex gets out in the middle of the woods at his hunting spots, so it doesn't have anything to do with proximity to homes. Having tripped the cams myself, I can tell you that it's a very fast flash.

What I like about your IR pics is that you get a lot more depth and background, instead of just lighting up the immediate area in front of the camera.

The deersex pretty much cracked us up, especially combined with their totally nonchalant expressions a second before and a second after. Hey, if you're a prey animal, you don't have time for foreplay.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom