Move outside?

Taysan10

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
Move outside?

My 12 chicks are 4.5 weeks old. Mostly feathered except their heads. I’m thinking of moving them to the coop because they have outgrown every brooder I set up for them and the flies are getting really bad in our garage. I would need to run a drop cord for their heat plate, is that safe/okay? Their coop is set up for them with roosting bars, automatic door, etc. Flooring is sand with barn lime and topped with pine shavings. The lows for the next 4 days is upper 30s to low 40s, then the low is mid 50s after that and that should be it for our cold snap in eastern NC. Thoughts?

Great on the taking them outside. That's exactly how I would go about it.
I'm not keen on electricity in coops. Most of the time it's fine if the person has been sensible out an extension cord run and making sure the chicks can't get at any wires in the coop.
You could build a warm cave, thick cardboard frame with a lot of soft packed straw inside it, just to give them somewhere to huddle if the do feel uncomfortably cold.
At 4.5 weeks most hens I've known no longer shelter their chicks under their wings. 5 to 6 weeks most hens are looking to abandon the chicks. I've had a few go longer but 6 weeks is a good estimate.
Knowing the night time temperature in the coop would be helpfull.
Try the huddle box and see how it goes. You will know very quickly if it's too cold for them if you keep a good eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom