Move to the coop?

They are so stunning! I’ve never seen a Silver Gray Dorking in person but they look beautiful in the photos! What draws you to them? This is such a thoughtful question and great angle to look at things from, thank you! I am interested in the Barevelders for their looks but also cold tolerance is appealing. Mostly I am interested in friendly pretty birds and pretty eggs is fun too. I think with just two of us in the house the five I have will supply more than enough eggs but I mostly want more bird buddies! 🤣

Their feather coloration is my absolute favorite for hens, and they are just the sweetest birds. Big, lovable lugs that would sit on your knee or hang out next to you for as long as you'd let them. :love And they'll always be your friend if you have food to offer them. 🤭

With as much variation as there is in chicken breeds, it's always good to know what the intentions are for the flock before making recommendations! 🙂 Barnevelders sound like they cover all your wants well! Of course I love my Dorkings, but they only lay plain white eggs, so if egg color is very important to you then keep that in mind. They're cold hardy overall and lay well in the wintertime, but do tend to have larger combs that can be susceptible to frostbite in bitter cold. Easter-eggers are great for lots of color in the flock and in your egg basket, although their temperaments can be all over the map. I also like Bielefelders for pretty, docile, and cold-hardy birds, though they only lay basic brown eggs.

I hear you on the eggs! I've got a fairly large flock and my family doesn't eat many eggs, so I'm usually drowning in them. :th

Just in case you need further encouragement, here's my Barnevelder pullet. Cadbury is the sweetest and is my favorite of all the chickens in my little flock.

1697315522558.png

@pipdzipdnreadytogo these are top notch suggestions and considerations, thank you for helping me see the bigger picture of what I want my flock composition to be!! I definitely will be looking into both Dorkings and Bielefelders because of your suggestions! I’d love a few color layers but definitely want some sweet girls and these sound like they could both fit the bill! Come spring I will be sure to update you on who I end up with!! 🐣💗

Thank you so much! You should’ve seen this “kids shed” before… absolutely thrashed! And Oh boy I am already so susceptible to the chicken math 🤦‍♀️ I just don’t know how it will be received by my man next year when I preorder 5 more chicks 😂
In thinking ahead…. Do y’all have suggested breeds? I’m thinking I want a barnevelder or two but not certain on who else I might add to the flock
Very nice upgrade indeed.🏠 Nice flock!

Chicken math is not something to do without concern imho. Give these 5 a good start and learn what they need to be happy.
Personally I would wait a few years when these pullets start to lay less eggs.

A few things to consider:
  • How spacious is the coop after they are full grown . They take up much more space within another 7 weeks.
  • How spacious is the run? Can they go out there from dawn till dusk?
  • New chicks will be an intrusion and concurrents for them
  • What will you do with all the eggs in the spring of 2025?
  • Thought about the cost of the feed?

@BDutch

You are absolutely right. I like to joke about “don’t close your eyes or we will have 10 more chickens” and daydream of having acreage and a larger flock but realistically, I want to see these five into adulthood and get to know them and their needs - not to mention egg production, as hens. While I do hope to raise more chicks one day I plan to spend the next good while continuing to pour my interest and time into these girls. Thank you for grounding me, this was a very well informed reply and I truly appreciate your words and consideration.

Back
Top Bottom