Muddy Run

kkovacic

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2017
Hi. I am trying to figure out the best solution for my the mud in my pen. I know people suggest sand but it doesn't seem to be working for me. Has anyone ever used pea gravel in the run?

pea gravel can go in a run just fine, I wouldn't use it unless its under a good layer of organic material but to each their own on that.

Is your run on the low point of the property? thats the first question I always ask when people tell me about a muddy chicken run. Controlling the run off water on the property does a lot for preventing mud. Fixing problems like that involves the type of work so very few people like to do.

All my chicken runs are are raised up 3 inches with sand or clay or gravel held in by retaining wall stone blocks. Run Off water is redirected around the runs. Its a lot of work. On top of the Sand, Clay, Gravel I have multiple inches of Straw, Leaves, Mulch, Hay, grass clippings etc, stuff that invites bugs and has wild seeds that chickens like to scratch for. I start it off at 2 inches and slowly add more every day as part of feeding them every day. When its 6 months before I need to fill planting pots full of compost I clean it out and start all over. Even when I have floods that go over the retaining walls I never get mud. Mud tends to be an issue on low ground.

Back
Top Bottom